Sea-to-Summits

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
painless4u2
14ers:summits58 
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Sea-to-Summits

Post by painless4u2 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:59 pm

Inverlochy to Ben Nevis summit, highest mountain in the British Isles. A sweet, long hike.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
angry
14ers:summits58 winter33 
13ers:summits122 winter12 

Post by angry » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:03 pm

I've done Florida's version, Destin beach to Britton Hill. It's about 50 miles.
cougar
14ers:summits44 winter1 
13ers:summits84 winter2 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:37 am

Everest has been climbed from sea level (epic journey). Probably each of the seven summits too.

A Hawaiian Nolans would be interesting, hitting each island highpoint and high peaks (both 13ers), and swim or paddle between islands.

Death Valley holds a few below sea level unranked summits/points.

Mt Sodom at the Dead Sea has an even lower summit elevation (-557 ft) and a bigger rise :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Sodom

I've done just the easy ones like Cadillac, Pt Dume, and Puu Olai from the beach, Mt Eden in Auckland, but find this interesting, especially being up on a high point of a small island. Plenty of places with easy access for this, especially on the west coast. Hasytack Rock on Cannon Beach. There's some WWII bunkers in the bay near Seward that are perched atop cliffs on deserted rock island outcrops.

I drove by this one but didn't get a chance to climb it :

https://listsofjohn.com/peak/108197
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Trotter
14ers:summits53 winter2 
13ers:summits179 ski2 winter12 
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Trotter » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:18 am

Mount Taranaki, the deadliest mountain in New Zealand.

About 22 miles from sea to summit, 18 of them bikable.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Brian C
14ers:summits45 winter5 
13ers:summits19 
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:23 pm

The whole concept of sea to summit is pretty cool in my opinion. I have never done anything that cool but have a buddy who has done Aconcagua and Denali both as sea to summit ventures. Really admirable. He said he would write trio reports but I don’t think he ever did. Here’s a link to his IG page if interested... https://instagram.com/mkoobtuba?igshid=1xpiywu8wdxs
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
swetnesss
14ers:summits44 ski2 
13ers:summits90 ski6 

Post by swetnesss » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:47 pm

teamdonkey wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:51 pm
Not exactly Sea-to-Summit, but was planning on Evans-from-my-house this summer. No bike just hike - should take 3 days.
Interesting, I just looked into this. Not that I would do it from my house. But starting from Cub creek trailhead it is roughly 42 miles round trip
kimo
14ers: List not added

Post by kimo » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:11 am

Sea to summit is pretty cool. Sea to summit to sea is even better. It is a nice reward to jump in the ocean after a big hike.

On top of Haleakala we met a truimphant group of twenty-somethings celebrating their ascent from Kaupo. They were waiting for their ride to pick them up and drive them down. I cracked, "you guys made it only half way." In return I got their stink eye and they walked off. My wife said that was mean of me. I laughed. She's probably right.

One of my favorite sea to summit to sea hikes is Pu'ukea'au on Oahu. 2650' of gain from Makaha Beach Park.
https://www.listsofjohn.com/peak/107822

Parked down at the beach.
1.jpg
1.jpg (217.75 KiB) Viewed 735 times
Easy scramble to the top.
5.jpg
5.jpg (218.78 KiB) Viewed 735 times
A satisfying end.
6.jpg
6.jpg (155.72 KiB) Viewed 735 times
Super cool summit experience - swarmed by giant Hawaiian dragonflies!
JacobW
14ers:summits34 ski12 winter3 
13ers:summits13 ski2 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by JacobW » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:50 pm

Sounds like you guys are in Hawaii a lot. Next time you're in Maui, you really should try doing Haleakala from sea to summit via Kaupo Gap. I did it a few years ago and it's an excellent adventure, and seems to be seldom done in a day. There were lots of animals (deer, boar, Nene, and cows), and you get to tick off an ultra.

Here's the trail for part of it. Not hard to figure out how to start from the ocean, or get to the summit from its ends.
https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7009549/kaupo-trail
teamdonkey
14ers:summits28 winter1 
13ers:summits18 winter1 

Post by teamdonkey » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:00 pm

swetnesss wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:47 pm
teamdonkey wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:51 pm
Not exactly Sea-to-Summit, but was planning on Evans-from-my-house this summer. No bike just hike - should take 3 days.
Interesting, I just looked into this. Not that I would do it from my house. But starting from Cub creek trailhead it is roughly 42 miles round trip
That's the route I'm looking at to. About a 12 mile hike from my house to the trailhead. Though there won't be a round trip, I'm planning on having the wife meet me at the summit and riding home
JChitwood
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits36 

Post by JChitwood » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:33 pm

cougar wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:37 am
A Hawaiian Nolans would be interesting, hitting each island highpoint and high peaks (both 13ers), and swim or paddle between islands.
I’ve been to Hawaii several times but am certainly no expert. I would guess it’s been done but swimming between any of the Hawaiian islands would be treacherous. I think Maui is 8 miles from both Molokai and Lanai and the others are way farther apart. Even the 8 mile swim would be impressive since there are severe currents between all the islands and the smaller the channel the bigger the current. It’s 200 miles from Niihau to the Big Island. Hiking each island’s highpoint then swimming to the next island would make the cover of Outside. Even paddling an outrigger canoe between them would be quite the journey. Good luck with the 70 miles from Kauai to Oahu.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
kimo

Post by kimo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:32 am

JChitwood wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:33 pm
cougar wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:37 am
I’ve been to Hawaii several times but am certainly no expert. I would guess it’s been done but swimming between any of the Hawaiian islands would be treacherous. I think Maui is 8 miles from both Molokai and Lanai and the others are way farther apart. Even the 8 mile swim would be impressive since there are severe currents between all the islands and the smaller the channel the bigger the current. It’s 200 miles from Niihau to the Big Island. Hiking each island’s highpoint then swimming to the next island would make the cover of Outside. Even paddling an outrigger canoe between them would be quite the journey. Good luck with the 70 miles from Kauai to Oahu.

This feat would make Nolan’s 14 look pedestrian. There’s immense danger in crossing the channels. And Kauai’s highpoint is no easy feat. The mountain and ocean conditions would have to align to pull this off.

My uncle – an accomplished waterman and Haleakala NP ranger – was lost at sea while crossing the Alalakeiki Channel on a surfboard. His remains were never found. The infamous Eddie Aikau was lost at sea while crossing the Kolohe Channel on a surfboard after a canoe accident. These guys were not kooks – they were the real deal.

From a news article in 2014:

Linda Kaiser is Hawaii's foremost female long distance swimmer. She is the first person to swim all nine Hawaii channels, and the only woman to have done all nine. The only other person who has done all nine is Mike Spalding. Liinda was born in Hilo, and has lived in Hawaii her entire life.

Linda's channel swimming history:
1. Auau Channel, 8/19/89 (Lanai to Maui), 10 miles, 5:11 hours
2. Pailolo Channel 11/30/90 (Maui to Molokai),11 miles, 4:47 hours. First woman to swim this channel.
3. Kolohe Channel 9/21/91, (Molokai to Lanai), 10 miles, 4:30 hours.
4. Alalakeiki Channel, 4/14/01, (Maui to Kahoolawe), 7.5 miles, 3:30 hours. First woman to swim this channel.
5. Kaulakahi Channel, 7/20/03, (Kauai to Niihau), 20 miles, 10:45 hours. First ever swim crossing (male or female)
6. Kealakahiki Channel, 9/11/05, (Kahoolawe to Lanai), 18.5 miles, 11:53 hours. First ever swim crossing (male or female)
7. Kaiwi Channel, 921/07, (Molokai to Oahu), 26 miles, 26 miles, 15 hours.
8. Alenuihaha Channel, 9/11-12/09, ( Big Island to Maui), 32 miles, 16:10 hours.
9. Kaieiewaho Channel, 11/20/10, (Oahu to Kauai), 72 miles, 47:55 hours. First ever swim crossing. Done as a relay with Mike Spalding.

I don’t know how many have successfully crossed the channels by kayak, canoe, or paddleboard.
kimo

Post by kimo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:27 pm

JacobW wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:50 pm
Sounds like you guys are in Hawaii a lot. Next time you're in Maui, you really should try doing Haleakala from sea to summit via Kaupo Gap. I did it a few years ago and it's an excellent adventure, and seems to be seldom done in a day. There were lots of animals (deer, boar, Nene, and cows), and you get to tick off an ultra.

Here's the trail for part of it. Not hard to figure out how to start from the ocean, or get to the summit from its ends.
https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7009549/kaupo-trail
Aloha. Missed your post. Thanks for the tip. I have done the hike from Kaupo to Paliku more than a few times. My roots are in Hana, Maui, so I visit at least once a year. This hike you mention is pretty much my "go to" hike when visiting family. Options are limited out there. I've done sea to summit to sea twice now, both times with an overnight in Paliku. Carrying a heavy pack up that trail is a real b*tch! But enjoying a night or two in Paliku makes it all worth it. A very special place, no doubt.

I used to have a trip report up on 14ers.com but pulled it when I cancelled my photo host. Maybe I'll fix it up and repost some day.