Cities with distant mountains.

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jbrow327
Trip Reports (0)

Cities with distant mountains.

Post by Jbrow327 »

What cities in the western USA can you see far distant mountains from? Can you see the Sangre De Christo's from Amarillo Texas?,etc.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Cities with distant mountains.

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

You can see Denali from quite a distance. I don’t know exactly what cities since I was in 7th grade last time I was there.
Jbrow327
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jbrow327 »

I mean outside of Alaska. Denali is one of the biggest mountains on the planet by vertical rise. You'll be able to see it from hundreds of miles away.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Have you considered taking a course in geometry and trigonometry and figuring this out for yourself?
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I don't think most of the mountains are all that visible unless you are talking the larger volcanoes in the PNW or as mentioned, Denali. You need a lot of prominence to account for the curvature of the earth.

Based on what I could find, the earth curves 6668' at 100 miles and at 200 miles it jumps to over 26,000' of curvature. 10,000' of curvature hits at about 123 miles. That is if you don't have other obstructions between you blocking your view.

You should in theory be able to see Denali from sea level if you are 175 miles away based on geometry. Calculator here:

http://earthcurvature.com/
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Jbrow327 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:23 pm What cities in the western USA can you see far distant mountains from? Can you see the Sangre De Christo's from Amarillo Texas?,etc.
No
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

The view of Rainier from Seattle is what got me into wanting to do more than just hike easy mountains.

View of Fuji-san from most of the Kanto Plain is pretty good, too.
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

I did some rudimentary geometry (x-squared + y squared = z squared) using the earth’s diameter as “x” and the earth’s diameter to Long’s Peak summit as “z” and I come up with 207 miles for “y” (the line from Long’s summit to the farthest visible point on the horizon). That seems awfully high, as that’s around the point where I first start to see Long’s on a Milwaukee to Denver flight, and that’s from 30,000 feet in the air. This calculation is just theory and doesn’t take anything like haze, atmosphere, humidity or hilly terrain into the equation.

In practice, it seems like when I drive I-76 towards Denver from the East, I start to see the front range just before Fort Morgan, which would be about 100 miles. Likewise, I’ve seen Pikes from Longmont and coming up I-25 from south of Denver, Long’s can be seen from south of Castle Rock, again, both are about 100 miles. Another example I can think of is how the Spanish Peaks quickly become visible on I-25 as soon as you get south of Colorado Springs, again, that’s about 100 miles. So it seems reasonable to assume that any city within 100 miles of a 13er or 14er with flat terrain in between, would have a pretty clear view of that mountain.
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
JROSKA
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

So going to the OP’s example of the southern Sangre’s being visible from Amarillo, the straight line distance from Amarillo to La Veta (near Spanish Peaks) is 236 miles, which is well outside the range of 100 (or slightly more) miles 13ers or 14ers can be seen from. I’ve never been in the southeastern part of Colorado but I’m guessing that you need to be inside the state line to see the southern Sangres.
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

JROSKA wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:29 pm So going to the OP’s example of the southern Sangre’s being visible from Amarillo, the straight line distance from Amarillo to La Veta (near Spanish Peaks) is 236 miles, which is well outside the range of 100 (or slightly more) miles 13ers or 14ers can be seen from. I’ve never been in the southeastern part of Colorado but I’m guessing that you need to be inside the state line to see the southern Sangres.
You can see the Crestones from New Mexico on 285, but that is only about 60 miles line of sight at the border. Around 6500' elevation difference.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
JROSKA
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

Oops that’s right. I forgot about New Mexico to the south. I should have clarified in my point (about being inside Colorado), I was referring to points to the East or southeast (like Kansas or Oklahoma). I’d be surprised if Colorado’s mountains can be seen from any of those areas but I’d be curious if it’s possible.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

From 30,000’ you can some crazy distances. I’ve seen Pikes from Scott’s Bluff,NE{(at 10,000’ MSL) 140 NM}. I’ve definitely seen the Front Range from well inside Kansas. That’s all super different than being on the ground.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage