Is Guadalupe Peak open

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jaymi
14ers: 48 
Trip Reports (0)

Is Guadalupe Peak open

Post by Jaymi »

Does anyone know if Guadalupe Peak (Texas) is open? Looks like it may have closed temporarily in April due to Covid. Thank you!
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Is Guadalupe Peak open

Post by wineguy »

Check the website. Last time I checked the campground was closed but the park was open to day hikers. If you are serious about social distancing, try one of the peaks other than Guadalupe. Seven of Texas' ten highest peaks are in the park. Other than Guadalupe I've seen almost no one on the trails. Hunter Peak is a relatively short jaunt. Bush mountain is a longer day hike, but an easy class 1 trail. Pratt is more fun, a few miles of off-trail bush whacking. Personally I'd avoid Texas this time of year, too hot. Much more appealing in Colorado's off-season. Try Oct-Mar., I don't thinks snow is ever an issue. Just avoid the strong winds around the equinoxes.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
Tim A
14ers: 28  3 
13ers: 51 1
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Tim A »

Park is still closed. June would be a miserable month to hike there anyway.
The spindoctor
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by The spindoctor »

I thought the water in the park technically is protected as well so bring plenty with you. I went in December and it was nice other than 50mph wind gusts!

On a side note, how does this compare to a typical "easy" 14er? 8.5 miles roundtrip and 3000 elevation gain seems about similar other than the starting elevation being lower.
-Justin
Jaymi
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jaymi »

So the nps website makes it look closed, but I see on different trail websites that people are still hiking. Hence the question and post. Perhaps their are other routes that are open? Or folks are simply not following the rules? I would not hike if nps said not to myself.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

Not open
Attachments
Screenshot_20200610-061545_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200610-061545_Chrome.jpg (87.54 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

not sure why it would still be closed given how remote it is and with the rest of TX open with outbreaks, unless the remoteness is the issue, it's a small park, rarely visited this time of year or in general, and campground and closest towns are Carlsbad and White City, water is scarce. The well at the campground goes down 2000 ft I'm told, and it's illegal to get water in the backcountry as mentioned, and those sources are scarce. Also the worst time of year to go there. Seems like from the reports people are hiking in a longer distance from outside the park boundary, there's access points along the highway and ranch roads, near the salt flats. That also allows you to get El Capitan from that approach. Would be brutal in summer 100 degree heat.

The standard route is pretty easy, about 7 miles RT and 3k elevation gain, good trail. Climbs up the mesa to a false summit, then a flat stretch, then up to true summit. The other peaks and areas like McKittrick Canyon are worth a visit. Fall is a great time, like November for the foliage (peak visitation in early Nov), good weather. If it were me I'd wait - a lot of people also visit Carlsbad Caverns on the same trip, and that for sure seems to be closed for a while. It can snow a bit in winter but rarely and lightly.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Jaymi
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jaymi »

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the responses. I was able to reach someone with the National Park Service and they confirmed that Guadalupe Peak and all trails within their jurisdiction are currently closed indefinitely. Guess I'll be Staying in beautiful Colorado this weekend.

Thanks again!
Jaymi
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jaymi »

NPS Messenger
NPS Messenger
Screenshot_20200610-150825_Messenger.jpg (91.95 KiB) Viewed 3553 times
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Tim A wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:45 am Park is still closed. June would be a miserable month to hike there anyway.
+1

I did Guadalupe peak in june. Hot as hell, even with a dawn start.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche