Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ashportko
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by ashportko »

Ptglhs wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:38 am
ashportko wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:05 am Thank you! I will research. And I did not mean to offend anyone by my question; just still exploring options in AK (all the info online is mostly about CO 14ers).
It's great to be passionate about the mountains. A lot of folks on this site are. If you've never hiked an alpine peak, and considering you said your first is going to be Elbert on October 8th I assume you haven't, it's fair to say you don't know what conditions will be like up there. October in Colorado mean shorter days, colder wind, and a real possibility of snow on the ground and in the air. Do Elbert and see what conditions are like, how you're feeling, and if you even make it to the top. After that think about other peaks in the lower 49 you might want to do. As plenty of other people have mentioned, Alaska is so far north, and much more remote, that climbing over 10,000 feet is several orders of magnitude higher there than in Colorado.

Ask the locals where would be fun to day hike, below treeline, with bear spray and several people in Alaska. A 14er in AK is several days of work, snowshoes, crampons, ice axe, serious cold weather gear, and technical climbing equipment: ropes, harness, amd protection.
Mega thanks to you and to you all! Now I see what is going on. Flattop sounds really good at this point. :) :) :)
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

I wanted to say props to ashportko for her ascent of Elbert today. She flew in from Orlando last night and was up at 14,433' this afternoon. I was glad to help someone up their 1st 14er. I think she's convinced that A: Alaska 14ers are off the table for the foreseeable future, and B: peak bagging in CO is a great way to spend the day.

Congrats to all the other 1st 14er summiters we met along the way. Always nice to meet friendly people in the mountains.
Attachments
IMG_1148.jpg
IMG_1148.jpg (83.96 KiB) Viewed 4410 times
hansolo35
14ers: 42  3 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by hansolo35 »

It’s a good thing she’s cute, cuz her naïveté regarding Alaska peaks is downright hilarious! And to the poster who suggested Mt. Hunter along with the photo...that’s classic funny! Nice work 👍
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

hansolo35 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:40 pm It’s a good thing she’s cute, cuz her naïveté regarding Alaska peaks is downright hilarious! And to the poster who suggested Mt. Hunter along with the photo...that’s classic funny! Nice work 👍
Technically it's also true. :wink: Obviously not what askportko was asking for, but I couldn't resist the jibe cuz I'm a jerk (and I also thought it was pretty damn funny, but of course I would). Nice work to askportko for gleaning some real info from the pit of vipers known as 14ers.com and then getting after it!
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Ptglhs wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:21 pm I wanted to say props to ashportko for her ascent of Elbert today. She flew in from Orlando last night and was up at 14,433' this afternoon. I was glad to help someone up their 1st 14er. I think she's convinced that A: Alaska 14ers are off the table for the foreseeable future, and B: peak bagging in CO is a great way to spend the day.

Congrats to all the other 1st 14er summiters we met along the way. Always nice to meet friendly people in the mountains.
Congrats ashportko! And... there are some good guys out there...
Aim high to end high
ashportko
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ashportko »

I’m super thankful to my guide Perry who posted the photo and the post! Mt. Elbert was definitely tough and beyond worth it for me, given I’m a relatively ignorant Floridian. Yet, I have learnt tons of info about mountains including AK from Perry. Actually, hikers are super duper nice and supportive and encouraging once in the mountains; just jerks on this web. But I love it. Glad I have made a few of you laugh. :) more to come!!! :-D
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

ashportko wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:43 am I’m super thankful to my guide Perry who posted the photo and the post! Mt. Elbert was definitely tough and beyond worth it for me, given I’m a relatively ignorant Floridian. Yet, I have learnt tons of info about mountains including AK from Perry. Actually, hikers are super duper nice and supportive and encouraging once in the mountains; just jerks on this web. But I love it. Glad I have made a few of you laugh. :) more to come!!! :-D
great work on your first 14er!! i've met so many interesting and kind people on 14ers, and i know you'll continue to find them too. :)
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Hahaha.... super duper!!
mnsebourn
14ers: 27 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (6)

Post by mnsebourn »

Nothing wrong with going big or going home!

My first 14er was Whitney. All 22 miles of it in a day. I ran out of water, limped up the switchbacks, and was one sunburned, sore, and dead tired fool the next day!

But I did it and loved it.

That said, Alaska is at a whole other level, though I will say: many of the mountains east of Anchorage may "only" rise to ~5k feet, but the gain and effort required surely meets or exceeds many of Colorado's fourteeners.

O'Malley is right next door to Anchorage. It's a fun hike/climb complete with a steep/loose gully--and some fantastic views.

Congrats to the OP on bagging Elbert. That, too, was my fist CO 14er.
shays_days
14ers: 13  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shays_days »

Lol everyone starts somewhere and it’s usually a disaster! My first ever hike to a summit was Mt. Monadnock on the East Coast when I was 21 - https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/new- ... oss-trails. 4 miles and 2k elevation and I almost puked. I hated it. Five years later I’ve done many of my dream climbs here in the Colorado Rockies! Keep at it.
jscully205
14ers: 58  12  39 
13ers: 116 13 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jscully205 »

If you're going to be hiking and climbing in Alaska you should be privy to the fact that they have their own climbing grades. This is due in part to the unique challenges that you'll face in Alaska, which is sort of explained in this thread. In summary, many of the shortest mountaineering routes require at least a full day effort and that starts at Grade I. For comparison normal YDS grade IV is full day and Alaska grade IV is multi-day semi technical climb.

Hopefully that helps you determine what you're looking at and getting yourself into.
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

ashportko wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:23 am Hello All,

I am going to Anchorage, AK in October (beginning), and I am wondering what would be the absolutely closest 14er to the city? I would take anything, but preferably something easier as I am taking my brother with me who is not quite there hiking-wise. :roll: Thank you!!!

[/https://www.steliasguides.com/trips/ala ... aineering/

Go to the introductory class.

You aren’t ready. I admire the drive. I do. No one should step near an Alaska peak without Rainier, Shasta, or Baker being done first.