1 day El Capitan ascent

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Squirrellysquirrel
Trip Reports (0)

1 day El Capitan ascent

Post by Squirrellysquirrel »

Not exactly mountaineering, but classy climb worth sharing. Emily Harrington climbed El Capitan in 21 hours 13 minutes and 51 seconds... first time a woman accomplished all in one day as a free climb. I remember when Lynn Hill soloed it way back when... that felt mind blowing at the time, this story gives a great description for the climb, really admirable her determination to succeed:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/spor ... emite.html
"The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." ~ Bruce Lee
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Re: 1 day El Capitan ascent

Post by justiner »

It’s a really amazing accomplishment and one a long time coming - and really flubbed up by the media reporting it. Maybe a little obscure for the mainstream.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Do you mean first female free ascent of Golden Gate in a day? Lynn Hill climbed El Cap free first (on The Nose), and the repeated it in a day the next year. Hazel Findlay free climbed Golden Gate in 2011, but not in a day. Lynn Hill never soloed El Cap I am pretty sure.
Squirrellysquirrel
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Squirrellysquirrel »

ezabielski wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:08 am Do you mean first female free ascent of Golden Gate in a day? Lynn Hill climbed El Cap free first (on The Nose), and the repeated it in a day the next year. Hazel Findlay free climbed Golden Gate in 2011, but not in a day. Lynn Hill never soloed El Cap I am pretty sure.
Yes! Golden Gate route in a day, first for a female. Yes, you’re right as well: Lynn Hill *free* climbed The Nose, not soloed. Apologies for my error.
justiner wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:23 am It’s a really amazing accomplishment and one a long time coming - and really flubbed up by the media reporting it. Maybe a little obscure for the mainstream.
The news is covering it more broadly now... but yeah probably an obscure reference for mainstream.

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/10/93345481 ... in-one-day

...my more technical rock climbing skills are not what they used to be, some of my finger tips are now slightly jammed/broken/useless for super crimper moves followed by dynamos... climbed around Yosemite back in the day... really is a remarkable feat if you’ve ever scratched these routes. When I read the article originally, I got an adrenaline surge just thinking about a few of the moves required to ascend some of the routes out there. Ballsy stuff! Truly impressive. 8)
"The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." ~ Bruce Lee