Whitney ranger patrols?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Whitney ranger patrols?

Post by sigepnader »

Best troll post of this young year.

Congratulations.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

kebabra wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:56 am Planning to climb it in a few days but I don’t have 20 dollars, I seem to remember someone on some website saying they don’t patrol during winter
Where did you $600 stimulus check go?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

No quota Nov 2 to April 30. I can't read apparently.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsin ... ou%20apply.

Edited because I'm not too bright
Last edited by dpage on Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

A permit is needed on the Whitney Trail year round. There is no quota from November 2 - April 30 so if you ask ye shall receive.
I have seen Rangers turn people around at Trail Crest who lack a permit and at least within season have fined folks $100-$200 when they don't have it.
bunny256
14ers: 58  3  4 
13ers: 357 7 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bunny256 »

nyker wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:19 pm A permit is needed on the Whitney Trail year round. There is no quota from November 2 - April 30 so if you ask ye shall receive.
I have seen Rangers turn people around at Trail Crest who lack a permit and at least within season have fined folks $100-$200 when they don't have it.
This. Inyo National Forest has a lot more resources to have rangers in the field checking for permits. I’ve been checked numerous times in the eastern Sierra.
LoJ
IG @i_heart_mountains