Mt Marathon (Seward, AK)

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
twojaycpa
Trip Reports (0)

Mt Marathon (Seward, AK)

Post by twojaycpa »

Anyone familiar with this hike? Will there still be snow in early June?

Anybody have maps/trails to the actual summit (5k), not the 3k tourist summit?
hansolo35
14ers: 42  3 
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Mt Marathon (Seward, AK)

Post by hansolo35 »

I've hiked Marathon a few times...the lower peak is actually called Race Point and there is a good but steep trail to the top. Views of Resurrection Bay are fabulous and I've seen black bears on each hike up. The real Mt. Marathon is a much tougher endeavor. You can access it via the bowl between Race Point and Marathon. in early summer there are a few snow couloirs that go near the summit. i've been in the bowl and gazed up to the summit but never actually climbed it.
if you're in the area, you should climb a nunatak poking out of the Harding Icefield accessed from the Exit Glacier trail. The views from up there of the icefield would be better than from Marathon.
stoopdude
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stoopdude »

First time I ever glissaded was a couple decades ago when I was 12 or 13, descending Race Point on family vacation to Alaska. This would've been in July. I certainly don't have any recent or useful condition reports, as I recall the conditions were similar to like June 14ers in Colorado. Streaks of snow/snowfields on the mountain but all largely avoidable.
twojaycpa
Trip Reports (0)

Post by twojaycpa »

hansolo35 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:01 pm I've hiked Marathon a few times...the lower peak is actually called Race Point and there is a good but steep trail to the top. Views of Resurrection Bay are fabulous and I've seen black bears on each hike up. The real Mt. Marathon is a much tougher endeavor. You can access it via the bowl between Race Point and Marathon. in early summer there are a few snow couloirs that go near the summit. i've been in the bowl and gazed up to the summit but never actually climbed it.
if you're in the area, you should climb a nunatak poking out of the Harding Icefield accessed from the Exit Glacier trail. The views from up there of the icefield would be better than from Marathon.
Thanks for the info. I'm guessing Race Point is all the more I'll likely do, I won't have anyone with me that could do the real summit.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

There are a few short reports on peakbagger for the true summit. I will say it's a rather burly looking mountain when you're at Race Point looking towards the real summit. The race route is very interesting, a good bit steeper than basically any mile in Colorado. And what a descent!
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

ezabielski wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:54 pm And what a descent!
My first experience with scree running. Fun stuff!

Of course, as you all know, probably, sand dunes are a blast to run down as well.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

12ersRule wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:42 pm
ezabielski wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:54 pm And what a descent!
My first experience with scree running. Fun stuff!

Of course, as you all know, probably, sand dunes are a blast to run down as well.
Sand dunes are also a lot of fun to ski down.