Climbing Forums for California?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Climbing Forums for California?

Post by ker0uac »

Anyone know of a good online forum, one that is actually used, to get current conditions on California peaks?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
clairekm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 66 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Climbing Forums for California?

Post by clairekm »

Have you tried High Sierra Topix?
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

Summitpost is less active these days, but still pretty good for CA.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

If you have Facebook there are a lot of active groups on there.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Looks like the domains 14ersCA.com and 14ersCALI.com are available. One could create them and thus assume all moderator privileges.
ellenmseb
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by ellenmseb »

There is not really an equivalent to 14ers.com.
peakbagger.com - conditions, GPX
snwburd.com - route description: Hard to believe 1 person provides some of the best route descriptions, but it's true
summitpost - route descriptions, forum is inactive
mountainproject - climbing/mountaineering partners, not hiking
book: High Sierra: Peaks, Passes, Trails by Secor
Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

Whitney Zone, but it's mostly focused on Mt Whitney.
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

ellenmseb wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:29 pm There is not really an equivalent to 14ers.com.
snwburd.com - route description: Hard to believe 1 person provides some of the best route descriptions, but it's true
Thanks. I couldn't find anything similar to the trip reports we have here. For the very popular routes I use Alltrails, but it fails for the less traveled peaks.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
NathanRL
14ers: 31  3  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NathanRL »

Yeah, there's Whitney Zone and the California Peaks Facebook page (as well as Shasta and Whitney specific Facebook groups). Would be nice to have something like 14ers.com.

I'd also highly recommend seano's book, available here.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Whitney zone or the Whitney Portal message boards. While the main focus is Whitney a lot of folks there do other climbing. You can also give a call to the rangers at the interagency visitor center in the Eastern Sierra.
ellenmseb
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by ellenmseb »

ker0uac wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:18 pm
ellenmseb wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:29 pm There is not really an equivalent to 14ers.com.
Thanks. I couldn't find anything similar to the trip reports we have here. For the very popular routes I use Alltrails, but it fails for the less traveled peaks.
peakbagger is the best source for trip reports. eg: list of ascents of Mt Whitney: https://www.peakbagger.com/climber/Peak ... =ft&y=9999
the abbreviation "TR" means there's a trip report, but even the concentration of non-TR ascents can give you an idea of what time of year it's reasonable to attempt that peak.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

ellenmseb wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:44 pm
ker0uac wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:18 pm
peakbagger is the best source for trip reports. eg: list of ascents of Mt Whitney: https://www.peakbagger.com/climber/Peak ... =ft&y=9999
the abbreviation "TR" means there's a trip report, but even the concentration of non-TR ascents can give you an idea of what time of year it's reasonable to attempt that peak.
Ohhh ok, I missed that!!