Wheeler Peak

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Wheeler Peak

Post by yaktoleft13 »

Anyone been down in the Taos area and had eyes on Wheeler recently? Looking for conditions. Thanks!
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Wheeler Peak

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Taos Ski Resort has reported 22 inches of snow in the last few days.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

I was just in the mountains near there and there was about a foot plus of powder. Watch the conditions closely because both routes can have some significant avy danger. My gut says it would not be safe right now. I live in Santa Fe and have climbed Wheeler a bunch in the winter. You can PM if I can answer any questions.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

Agree with desertdog. The avy risk is probably very high up there right now.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

That's what I figured, but wanted to see if anyone had first hand knowledge. Thanks all!
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

And that area does get its extra share of snow, fyi. I've been there three times, once conditions were good, and twice I turned around due to what I considered hazardous conditions, on days where weather was generally ok, or just lighter snow in Santa Fe or Sandia Mountains further south.