Peakbagger vs. Listsofjohn

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Peakbagger vs. Listsofjohn

Post by glenmiz »

Both are great and, since I can't choose, I use both. Each have trip reports, tracks and incredibly useful information. I like LoJ's layer of public land data since I'm frequently bushwhacking... often, near private property and it's good to know where the boundaries are.

John asks for a small fee and, for the benefit I derive from LoJ, I consider it a pittance.

Enjoy your adventures.
Aim high to end high
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

I really like the peakbagger app, and it works great within and outside of the usa. I really don't use lists of john except for referencing trip reports, but there are some very good trip reports on both sites.

FYI, John Kirk from lists fo john is on here, so if you have any questions about LoJ, i'm sure he will pop in here.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

LoJ if you're into lists of all sorts, and quads. Lots of goals to find and set, and trip reports. There's some clutter of bouldering and climbing objectives listed as peaks, but that can be filtered and is still managed. I find the maps and info easier to use. You can download every peak in each state to your GPS. The kudo and comment features are also fun.

I don't use the peakbagger app or log ascents there, but ill check trip reports. Seems like they used to list land ownership per peak, but I don't see it now. Biggest advantage i see is the international peaks, and maybe some map overlays. Also its all unlocked. I see a lot more ascents logged per peak on average on LoJ. Both sites link to each other. Peakbagger also seems to have more traction outside CO.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

This isn't an argument for one or the other, but man have I burned up some hours on LoJ going on peak safaris. That site blows my mind.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

ekalina wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:39 pm This isn't an argument for one or the other, but man have I burned up some hours on LoJ going on peak safaris. That site blows my mind.
That's a common reaction from people once they learn how to use it. Amazing site and ridiculously accurate. I use several sites for peak data, but LoJ puts most of them to shame.
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

susanjoypaul wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:56 pm
ekalina wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:39 pm This isn't an argument for one or the other, but man have I burned up some hours on LoJ going on peak safaris. That site blows my mind.
That's a common reaction from people once they learn how to use it. Amazing site and ridiculously accurate. I use several sites for peak data, but LoJ puts most of them to shame.
Yeah for sure. The only trouble is that I have to remember to actually go on some of the hikes that I come up with instead of sitting around and planning more and more trips on LoJ. :lol:
Dignus
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Dignus »

Surprised no one has mentioned Peakery, since it probably has the most accessible design, loads of lesser known peaks, and plenty of peakbagging challenges. I've barely used Peakbagger and never LoJ. I don't mean to muddy the waters but unless you're committed to one of the other two it's worth checking out!
Verso l'alto
-Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Dignus wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:05 pm Surprised no one has mentioned Peakery, since it probably has the most accessible design, loads of lesser known peaks, and plenty of peakbagging challenges. I've barely used Peakbagger and never LoJ. I don't mean to muddy the waters but unless you're committed to one of the other two it's worth checking out!
Thanks for the recommendation, I just checked out Peakery and I agree. It is much easier to use.
Be the best you that you can be.