Peakbagger vs. Listsofjohn

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Peakbagger vs. Listsofjohn

Post by wineguy »

In the winter I do most of my peakbagging outside of CO, guess I don't like to freeze my a** off. Am considering logging my activity on either Peakbagger or Listsofjohn. Does anyone have any thoughts on the relative merits of these two sites?
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Re: Peakbagger vs. Listsofjohn

Post by supranihilest »

If you use the Peakbagger app you can connect it to your LoJ account. When you log a peak on the app it will also log it on LoJ. Two birds, one stone.

The additional benefit of using the PB app is downloading offline peak data, maps, and tracks. There are a number of apps that function similarly but none specifically for peakbagging, with the exception of Peakbagger, of course.

I use PB exclusively on the app, because the mapping is useful. I use LoJ far more extensively for lists, research, GPXes, trip reports, etc.
Craig Barlow
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Craig Barlow »

LoJ doesn't have any peaks outside the U.S., so if you ever want to do any international trips, PB is better.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

LoJ is better for the United States, but Peakbagger is international.

Quality control is better on LoJ than Peakbagger. Some people have added erroneous data to Peakbagger and since anyone can add it, it takes a long time to correct.

Peak bagger also uses the dreadful "clean prominence" criteria instead of the more accurate interpolated prominence method. Because of this they had to adjust some of the peak lists. For example there are only 51 14ers on the old Peakbagger list, but they changed the criteria to a rather illogical 280 feet just for Colorado 14ers so they could match more conventional lists.

There still is a lot of good information on Peakbagger, especially for international peaks.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I agree with Scott on the comparisons.

I will add that because the Peakbagger database is user provided, there are a ton of missing ranked peaks and all kinds of weird unranked extra ones. Some ridges it seems someone adds a peak for every closed contour or elevation point, even if they only have 20 feet of prominence, yet there are several missing 12ers and 13ers (and even more missing at lower elevations) if the peaks are less frequently climbed.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

Scott has it right -- LoJ is more accurate in the States, while Peakbagger has international coverage (and doesn't pester you for donations). The Peakbagger phone app can log ascents to both, and also has the best international offline topo maps I've found. I have used it for most of my peakbagging for a number of years.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:48 pmI will add that because the Peakbagger database is user provided, there are a ton of missing ranked peaks and all kinds of weird unranked extra ones.
Example of a weird unranked one:

https://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=-92879

Yet a lot of prominent and well known 12ers and 13ers are missing, just as you point out.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Here's a list on Peakbagger of the "Biggest Mountains in the World" if anyone is interested.

https://www.peakbagger.com/List.aspx?li ... &cid=29775

Personally I would not consider these as the "Biggest Mountains in the World", then again I haven't seen every mountain in the world so what would I know?

Peakbagger certainly does have a lot of weird stuff on it.
ellenmseb
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by ellenmseb »

Peakbagger all the way. Interface is way better. More useful lists. Great map view of lists. Extremely useful mobile app. Trip reports more plentiful and more useful. Can't stand listsofjohn.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them all.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

LoJ for lists and obscure ranked peaks within the U.S.

Peakbagger for the amazing app (free download of tracks, topo maps, public land overlay, etc.) and international peaks.
coopereitel
14ers: 58  4  1 
13ers: 45 7 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by coopereitel »

Maybe I'm just slow and challenged, but I've had difficulties the LoJ site layout. I use peakbagger almost exclusively and LoJ just for extra beta since PB links you to it if they both have the same peak.

I agree, though, there is some weird stuff on PB.

Also, a friend mentioned to periodically save your lists of ascents to your computer because he's had his deleted before.