Strike Valley Overlook - Capital Reef UT

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Strike Valley Overlook - Capital Reef UT

Post by Scott P »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:53 am
Scott P wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:18 am
Chicago Transplant wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:46 am Lower Muley Twist was fun
If you ever go back, Upper Muley Twist is a lot better.
Thanks, I will! Its a nice area and worth going back. There seem to be a lot of opportunities to explore down there.
Especially if you backpack in. Halls Creek Narrows and the surrounding area is outstanding.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
dhaines
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dhaines »

Just want to let everyone know that what everyone said is true :-D

My plans changed and I got to leave a few hours earlier than planned, so I took the long way from Hanksville to Torrey. From Hanksville, I took UT 95, then UT 276 to BLM roads to cut across to the Burr Trail (rather than going farther south to Glen Canyon area, then back north). The BLM roads were spicy in places but nothing too difficult for a careful AWD driver. Notom Bullfrog was easy, even within the park. The Burr Trail switchbacks are steep, but still tourist level ability. I parked at the Upper Muley Twist (marked as the 2WD trailhead on some maps), but easily could have gone all the way to the 4WD trailhead. I didn't mind hiking ~3 miles after all the time in the car. And sure enough there was a Subaru at the 4WD Strike Vally trailhead.

Detailing whether it was worth the long drive would take many more words, but in summary ,yes depending on your ability and expectations.

Thanks for being a great resource!
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

cougar wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:14 am Upper Mukey Twist loop is good, lots of arches and a slot. Some other slot hikes in the area like sheets gulch and burro wash. Generally less crowded area of the park.
Upper Muley Twist is a great hike. Here are two photos:
Attachments
WaterpocketFold.JPG
WaterpocketFold.JPG (150.29 KiB) Viewed 2637 times
Wavelike.JPG
Wavelike.JPG (150.82 KiB) Viewed 2637 times
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean