Russell > Whitney > Muir

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
psycholoco
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Russell > Whitney > Muir

Post by psycholoco »

I did this loop last September and would totally recommend your original plan if you're a speedy hiker. I've got some climb times posted (along with strava file below) if you want to get a feel for how long it will take. For what it's worth, I had been at sea level for 6 weeks before this one and was feeling the altitude. I felt the difficulty of Russell's East Ridge was a bit overhyped, and more like CO class 3 rather than CA class 3, although I'm pretty comfortable with exposure. Descending Russell you'll want to head back towards the east peak to descend the south face. I found the entry point pretty easy to spot and the down climb wasn't too bad. There's definitely some tedious scree coming down, but nothing I hadn't done before in Colorado. After coming through the pass after coming down Russell and over to Iceberg lake I decided to do a high traverse towards the MR. That was a huge pain in the ass. Go down to Iceberg and filter some water. I ended up running out of water and had to bum some on the Whitney summit. Muir was a fun scramble and a little tricky topping out, but then I found an easier way down. The jog down the main trail feels pretty long after all that, but it does make for a nice loop. You should be able to grab the gps from my strava file, but if not let me know and I can send it to you.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4023324824

And let me know if you have specific questions.
Dayute
14ers: 56  1 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Russell > Whitney > Muir

Post by Dayute »

psycholoco wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:59 am I did this loop last September and would totally recommend your original plan if you're a speedy hiker. I've got some climb times posted (along with strava file below) if you want to get a feel for how long it will take. For what it's worth, I had been at sea level for 6 weeks before this one and was feeling the altitude. I felt the difficulty of Russell's East Ridge was a bit overhyped, and more like CO class 3 rather than CA class 3, although I'm pretty comfortable with exposure. Descending Russell you'll want to head back towards the east peak to descend the south face. I found the entry point pretty easy to spot and the down climb wasn't too bad. There's definitely some tedious scree coming down, but nothing I hadn't done before in Colorado. After coming through the pass after coming down Russell and over to Iceberg lake I decided to do a high traverse towards the MR. That was a huge pain in the ass. Go down to Iceberg and filter some water. I ended up running out of water and had to bum some on the Whitney summit. Muir was a fun scramble and a little tricky topping out, but then I found an easier way down. The jog down the main trail feels pretty long after all that, but it does make for a nice loop. You should be able to grab the gps from my strava file, but if not let me know and I can send it to you.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4023324824

And let me know if you have specific questions.
This is excellent info, thank you. I was able to grab your GPX and it will be a great reference. I had read in other reports that attempting to go high from the W/R saddle to the MR was more trouble than it was worth. I think I'll probably end up sticking with the original plan and starting on Russell so I can make the go or head back call from Iceberg Lake after a nice rest and rehydrate.
I managed to pick up another day pass for 2 days after my original date so that will leave me a good fall back option if I need to bail. Im expecting a very long day but thats a big part of why I want to do it. Im planning Snowmass in a day and Capitol in a day as warm ups in the next few months.