Wasatch range ideas

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 325 2 71
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Wasatch range ideas

Post by blazintoes »

Timpanongos is really pretty and a lot of fun to hike. The summit house feels ritualistic. Camp nearby, hike the peak and argue with the locals about whose mountains are better; Colorado vs. Utah then head to the Sundance Mountain Resort and marvel at the old school equipment used to ski and get twitter pated over pictures of Robert Redford.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

blazintoes wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:59 am Timpanongos is really pretty and a lot of fun to hike. The summit house feels ritualistic. Camp nearby, hike the peak and argue with the locals about whose mountains are better; Colorado vs. Utah then head to the Sundance Mountain Resort and marvel at the old school equipment used to ski and get twitter pated over pictures of Robert Redford.
After thinking about this a little more I agree with blazintoes and recommend Timp for June. No idea what the snow is like there since that one is in a county south of us. I would think snow should be manageable though. You can't go wrong with any of the 4 peaks you mentioned, but Timp may be just a bit more scenic. Either of it's 2 main routes (Aspen Grove or Timpanooke THs are absolutely beautiful. Long day, but no biggie. AND!! You can probably get a yellow VW bug into the upper basin easily! (seriously though... I slightly recommend Timp, followed by Lone, Nebo, Pfeifferhorn)
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

d_baker wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:55 am Shocked jbrow guy hasn't responded. He should have plenty of info on this. Lol.
Actually thought this would be his thread!
could be because he's never actually been climbing.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

greenonion wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:10 pm
blazintoes wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:59 am Timpanongos is really pretty and a lot of fun to hike. The summit house feels ritualistic. Camp nearby, hike the peak and argue with the locals about whose mountains are better; Colorado vs. Utah then head to the Sundance Mountain Resort and marvel at the old school equipment used to ski and get twitter pated over pictures of Robert Redford.
After thinking about this a little more I agree with blazintoes and recommend Timp for June. No idea what the snow is like there since that one is in a county south of us. I would think snow should be manageable though. You can't go wrong with any of the 4 peaks you mentioned, but Timp may be just a bit more scenic. Either of it's 2 main routes (Aspen Grove or Timpanooke THs are absolutely beautiful. Long day, but no biggie. AND!! You can probably get a yellow VW bug into the upper basin easily! (seriously though... I slightly recommend Timp, followed by Lone, Nebo, Pfeifferhorn)
Whenever I've hiked timp it has always been around 4th of July. The "light year" there was still a few small snow fields to cross on the upper portion leaving timpanooke flat, but I did it sans spikes/axe/pons, along with about 1000 dating BYU couples. The other year I wore crampons and climbed straight up scout falls into timpanooke flat. timpanooke was all snow until the "ridge" was gained. no date hikes that year.

tert historically does a good job of letting every one know when summer conditions come in. http://tert.org/
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Conor wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:43 pm
greenonion wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:10 pm
Whenever I've hiked timp it has always been around 4th of July. The "light year" there was still a few small snow fields to cross on the upper portion leaving timpanooke flat, but I did it sans spikes/axe/pons, along with about 1000 dating BYU couples. The other year I wore crampons and climbed straight up scout falls into timpanooke flat. timpanooke was all snow until the "ridge" was gained. no date hikes that year.

tert historically does a good job of letting every one know when summer conditions come in. http://tert.org/
Thanks for the tert! Didn’t have that.