Wasatch range ideas

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Sbenfield
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 289 4 25
Trip Reports (5)

Wasatch range ideas

Post by Sbenfield »

I’m going to take a trip to SLC in late June to visit some family and would like to also spend some time in the Wasatch as well.

Some peaks that caught my eye were Pfeifferhorn, Timpanogos, Nebo, & Lone Pk, but wanted to check in if any Utah experts here had better recommendations that I haven’t considered or are more fun.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Wasatch range ideas

Post by Scott P »

Those are all good, but take an ice axe if you want to descend Timp Glacier that early. Many people don't and many get hurt. In recent years the NFS and TERT recommend avoiding the route, but it's not bad with an ice axe and a lot of fun.

I'd really recommend Broads Fork Twin Peaks too. Dromedary from Lake Blanch is really cool too. Devils Castle is another good one.

Tanners Gulch and the Triple Traverse is one of the best routes in the Wasatch, but alas it might be out of condition this year due to drought conditions and light snowpack. Usually late June is good, but probably not this year.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

pfeifferhorn is just pure fun. I remember going up the side of the normal trail and just having a blast, beautiful views of timp and all the wasatch. timp is always fun in my book.

I did superior's south ridge last year. what a blast! if you are looking at something more scrambly. my brother in law did it a second time the following weekend. https://www.mountainproject.com/route/1 ... outh-ridge

If you're chasing ultra prom peaks or want to start, SLC has a few options nearby. Randy winter's book, although outdated, provides good info.

Scott, which way did you go on devil's castle? I went up through sugarloaf and I remember a ton of scree...
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

I live in SLC and hike all these peaks as training for the 14ers. I enjoy all 4 of your mentions, especially Lone Peak (Jacob's Ladder route). Long day. Snow could still be an issue on Lone in late June though. Broads Fork Twin Peaks is also long and is a loose talus slog toward the end/top. It's a beast. Don't necessarily recommend it over any of the others mentioned by you or Scott. An additional suggestion would be Superior from Alta (standard), or its fun and exposed south ridge. Most snow ought to be gone from Superior by late June. Do be careful on that one if snow is still around though. Someone just died on the standard route (Superior) trying to cross steep snow (I think). Superior can be combined with nearby Monte Cristo. But don't confuse this Monte Cristo with the one further north in Utah (Ogden/Huntsville area). There are a bunch of other 10ers (Raymond/Gobblers Knob) and 11ers in the Wasatch, but you listed my favorites. Happy to give more details if you want to PM. Another suggestion: Mt Olympus - 4200 vert but summit is only 9k. Great workout though.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Conor wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:01 amScott, which way did you go on devil's castle? I went up through sugarloaf and I remember a ton of scree...
The traverse is the most fun way to do it.

https://www.roadtripryan.com/go/t/utah/ ... e-traverse

I don't remember the scree being that bad, but then again it's been a long time. Normally in June you can avoid the scree by staying on the snow (ice axe recommended), but maybe not this year? :?:

Right now the webcam (Albion Basin webcam is of Sugarloaf and Devils Castle) is showing plenty of snow (but much less than normal), but late June is a long way off

https://www.alta.com/weather
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Shocked jbrow guy hasn't responded. He should have plenty of info on this. Lol.
Actually thought this would be his thread!
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

d_baker wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:55 am Shocked jbrow guy hasn't responded. He should have plenty of info on this. Lol.
I thought so too. On the last thread he started (which was close to exactly the same as some of the previous threads he started) Bill did tell him he was going to delete some of his duplicate threads. I don't think he's posted since then.
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

d_baker wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:55 am Shocked jbrow guy hasn't responded. He should have plenty of info on this. Lol.
Lol. When I saw this thread I totally thought it was jbrow.
These are all good Wasatch climbs. I think the only peak I missed in my SLC days is Kessler for some reason.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

greenonion wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:07 am Broads Fork Twin Peaks is also long and is a loose talus slog toward the end/top. It's a beast.
True, but even with the light snowpack, it still should be covered in late June? Hopefully. It's definitely better with the snow.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Scott P wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:14 am
greenonion wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:07 am Broads Fork Twin Peaks is also long and is a loose talus slog toward the end/top. It's a beast.
True, but even with the light snowpack, it still should be covered in late June? Hopefully. It's definitely better with the snow.
Good point, and possibly will still have decent enough coverage over the loose scree slope. I was up on Olympus 2 days ago looking right across to BF Twins. They still are loaded. Will try to post a photo here later.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Bale wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:13 am
Lol. When I saw this thread I totally thought it was jbrow.
These are all good Wasatch climbs. I think the only peak I missed in my SLC days is Kessler for some reason.
:shock: Shock! That peak just might be the namesake of Mr Scott P's buddy... and son - Kessler! (have always wondered - ??) (I just did Kessler for the first time 2 summers ago - STEEP!!)
Sbenfield
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 289 4 25
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Sbenfield »

Thanks team, this gives a lot to consider!