Granite Peak in 2021

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
joeandres97
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Granite Peak in 2021

Post by joeandres97 »

Just saw this but was able to get on granite the 26th of July from mystic lake trailhead in a day. It’s a big day but amazing and beautiful I would equate it to pikes peak Barr trail with a little bit of juggy and Fun class 5 scrambling. I’ve heard many bad things from locals up in the area of the huckleberry creek and southwest approaches being very bushwacky and tedious. Coming back the mystic lake trail I talked to two groups whom attempted the huckleberry creek approach that got stumped with their approaches past princess lake. Definitely would recommend the standard from mystic lake it’s the most defined approached with a good trail all the way to the plateau. Unless your looking to lug up a lot of weight through bushwhack terrain over more mileage, with very good mountain. I would advise the mystic lake, phantom creek, froze to death plateau approach for a successful summit. I clocked it at 24.6 with 7363 gain. The plateau is very obscure and misleading, causing my extra mileage so be sure to follow a clear gpx file mine was still obscured and not the most definite so trust your body sense and your mind to keep you low enough on the plateau to gain but not low or high enough to cause more mileage.
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

Ptglhs wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:06 pm Planning on going the first week of July.
Did you end up going? If so, how were conditions and did you summit?
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

angry wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:02 pm Did you end up going? If so, how were conditions and did you summit?
I got Gannett Peak in Wyoming the second weekend in July. The person I went with, and wanted to do Granite Peak with me, had a change in their work schedule so we had to call our trip after 4 days and the one Summit.
angry
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

Ptglhs wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:20 am I got Gannett Peak in Wyoming the second weekend in July. The person I went with, and wanted to do Granite Peak with me, had a change in their work schedule so we had to call our trip after 4 days and the one Summit.
Oh dang, sorry your plans fell through. I summited Gannett last week (7/29) and was looking at Granite for later this month, most likely solo.
Geckser
14ers: 58  9  10 
13ers: 274 16 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Geckser »

How were conditions on Gannet, what route did you take? I am looking to hit it from Tourist Creek two weeks from now.

BTW I saw your signature on the top of Split Mountain California, Rose. Very nice summit
Last edited by Geckser on Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Geckser wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:10 pm BTW I saw your signature on the top of Split Mountain, California Rose. Very nice summit
I'm assuming you climbed this from the South (from Peak Lake, below Knapsack Col)? I don't have much experience on class 3 (and no experience above that), so I'm probably not up for Split Mountain (I think it get's pretty hard?), but I've thought of climbing up to pt 12,845 (Baby Glaicer Peak? Or G4? I'm not sure of the name) on my next trip to the Winds. How was the climb up to the saddle from Peak Lake?
angry
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

Geckser wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:10 pm BTW I saw your signature on the top of Split Mountain California, Rose. Very nice summit
Split is awesome, I don't know why it doesn't get more love! The view from Red Lake is so good!! I'm looking to finish the California 14ers by the end of September. I replied to your PM: re Gannett.
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

rdp32 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:48 pm
Geckser wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:10 pm BTW I saw your signature on the top of Split Mountain, California Rose. Very nice summit
I'm assuming you climbed this from the South (from Peak Lake, below Knapsack Col)? I don't have much experience on class 3 (and no experience above that), so I'm probably not up for Split Mountain (I think it get's pretty hard?), but I've thought of climbing up to pt 12,845 (Baby Glaicer Peak? Or G4? I'm not sure of the name) on my next trip to the Winds. How was the climb up to the saddle from Peak Lake?
If you can get over to the Mammoth Glacier side, Split is a simple class 2 talus romp with simple 35 degree snow to get to the same saddle. I didn't go up from Peak Lake so I cannot say how hard it is, but I will say the entire Mammoth Glacier cirque is incredible, and you definitely won't see anyone else there. There is a long skinny lake at 10,800 feet right below the west face of Koven that looks like a Norwegian Fjord that's worth a visit too.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

There are also some interesting subpeaks in the 627 miles bewteen Split Mountain's two summits.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

seano wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:42 pm There are also some interesting subpeaks in the 627 miles bewteen Split Mountain's two summits.
Haha I didn't realize they were talking about Split Mountain in CA. First they were talking about Gannet, then they mentioned Split Mountain, and since there's a Split Mountain close to Gannet, I assumed that was the one they were discussing.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Matt Lemke wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:16 pm
rdp32 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:48 pm
If you can get over to the Mammoth Glacier side, Split is a simple class 2 talus romp with simple 35 degree snow to get to the same saddle. I didn't go up from Peak Lake so I cannot say how hard it is, but I will say the entire Mammoth Glacier cirque is incredible, and you definitely won't see anyone else there. There is a long skinny lake at 10,800 feet right below the west face of Koven that looks like a Norwegian Fjord that's worth a visit too.
Thanks Matt---I'll add this to my list of places I would love to go to but probably never will (in this case, because I don't know if I'll ever work myself up to that level of difficulty). Looks/sounds incredible though.
Geckser
14ers: 58  9  10 
13ers: 274 16 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Geckser »

Haha, completely understandable mistake. I would recommend the Split Mountain the Sierras though. Rises like 4,000 feet above a high alpine lake. I think we saw 5 other people on a day in the Fourth of July Weekend.
https://imgur.com/a/cSdfueh
Attachments
IMG_3634.jpg
IMG_3634.jpg (94.6 KiB) Viewed 4095 times