Anyone here have experience with the Wasatch range?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Anyone here have experience with the Wasatch range?

Post by cedica »

I believe that user Jbrow327 by now possesses all info about Utah (and Wasatch in particular) that is humanly possible to acquire. Please search the forum for his numerous threads about that topic. :-"
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

Randy Winters is a member here. Maybe try PM'ing him. You can pick his book up cheap from amazon usually.

I've found the scrambling classes to be on par with colorado. access is excellent through the canyons. vert depends on if you are starting up canyon or at the bottom.

one thing you won't find, is as detailed "instructions" that many here have become accustomed to for routes.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Tuckerton7 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:01 pm
cedica wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:47 pm I believe that user Jbrow327 by now possesses all info about Utah (and Wasatch in particular) that is humanly possible to acquire. Please search the forum for his numerous threads about that topic. :-"
It seems he has been inactive for quite a while.
Or perhaps just changed his name to Tuckerton7.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Tuckerton7 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:01 pm It seems he has been inactive for quite a while.
But the knowledge is still there, in those threads. That is the beauty of this forum. Don't let it go to waste.

I recall that Scott P, who wrote books on the subject, was answering the questions probably until he got blue in the face... But there were always more questions.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Tuckerton7 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:28 pm
Scott P wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:36 pm

Or perhaps just changed his name to Tuckerton7.
That name sounds better
as in, "Tucker" asks a "ton" of questions... 7.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
twhalm
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (2)

Post by twhalm »

I picked this up when I lived in Utah: https://www.amazon.com/Wasatch-Elevener ... 0874808642

I didn't finish them all, but aside from the elevation difference many of the 11ers are more technically challenging than the majority of 14ers. You just won't be sucking air as much near the top so you can move quicker.
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

cedica wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:47 pm I believe that user Jbrow327 by now possesses all info about Utah (and Wasatch in particular) that is humanly possible to acquire. Please search the forum for his numerous threads about that topic. :-"
you mean, he's been in your basement thinking up new wannabe questions, jtuckertonbrow7?