Late Fall Snow in NM & UT?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (2)

Late Fall Snow in NM & UT?

Post by Eli Watson »

So I set a goal for myself at the beginning of this year to summit at least one out-of-state 14er or 13er. Late spring snuck up on me before I could coordinate a trip up Whitney's Mountaineers Route, and Rainier requires far more preparation that I could accomplish this summer. Now with the closure of all of California's National Forests for the foreseeable future I am limited to looking at 13ers, namely those in New Mexico and Utah.

As I plan out my trips for the remainder of this dry alpine season I'm curious how the windows for easy, dry, fast summits in New Mexico and Utah compare to Colorado. I'd be inclined to think the Utah 13ers start seeing persistent snow up high around the same time as Colorado due to their similar latitude, but am I correct in assuming New Mexico may have a slightly extended season being so far south? I'd love to be able to enjoy my time up high in Colorado until the snow starts sticking around, then boogie down south during shoulder season to snag a dry run in October or even November. If I could roll a Wheeler summit into my trip out to the Grand Canyon alongside a detour to Las Cruces for Thanksgiving I'd be estatic. Otherwise I may take advantage of this long weekend to eschew holiday traffic in Colorado for holiday traffic in Wyoming.
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Late Fall Snow in NM & UT?

Post by Scott P »

Eli Watson wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:38 pmAs I plan out my trips for the remainder of this dry alpine season I'm curious how the windows for easy, dry, fast summits in New Mexico and Utah compare to Colorado.
I'm not sure what you consider "easy and fast", but keep in mind that all of the Utah 13ers require a hike of 24-40 miles round trip.

The shortest of the standard route to a Utah 13er is Gilbert with a 24 miles round trip hike from Henrys Fork (Tokewanna has a rugged route that it is a little shorter, but it's almost completely trailess, is rugged, and is not the standard route).
I'd be inclined to think the Utah 13ers start seeing persistent snow up high around the same time as Colorado due to their similar latitude,
For the most part, yes, though the Uintas are in northern Utah. Keep in mind though that for the Utah 13ers you will likely backpacking in and you have to be a little more prepared than you would for the easier 14ers. For example, if a storm hits you on Quandary you can just head quickly down and enjoy a nice dinner in Breck. If a storm hits you on any of the Utah 13ers, you're going to have to walk out 12-20 miles one way just to reach the gravel road trailhead. Several of them require crossing at least one pass just to get back to the car too. Just go prepared and you should be fine.
but am I correct in assuming New Mexico may have a slightly extended season being so far south?
Maybe a bit longer, especially in dry years.
If I could roll a Wheeler summit into my trip out to the Grand Canyon alongside a detour to Las Cruces for Thanksgiving I'd be estatic.
Wheeler Peak is pretty accessible year round. There is a even a yurt at Bull of the Woods if you use that route.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Eli Watson
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

Thanks for the reply, Scott. I was especially hoping you'd offer your experience. You're correct that "easy and fast" are subjective terms. As far as snow, I guess it comes down to which ranges get clipped by which early snow storms.
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rperth »

Did Wheeler peak about 4 weeks ago. Took the Williams lake trail. I did bull of the woods many years ago. You can take bull of the woods and come down Williams lake. Trailheads are about a mile or so apart. Lots of lodging at Taos ski valley. Both TH’s are near by. There is also tons of dispersed camping along the paved road to the ski valley.
John Prater
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 343 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Prater »

Scott P wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:42 pm I'm not sure what you consider "easy and fast", but keep in mind that all of the Utah 13ers require a hike of 24-40 miles round trip.
Well, apparently it only takes a bit over 27.5 hours to do them all so not sure what the big deal is. Though that's probably kinda fast and probably not easy.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

John Prater wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:43 pm
Scott P wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:42 pm I'm not sure what you consider "easy and fast", but keep in mind that all of the Utah 13ers require a hike of 24-40 miles round trip.
Well, apparently it only takes a bit over 27.5 hours to do them all so not sure what the big deal is. Though that's probably kinda fast and probably not easy.
Dang. That's one of the most impressive things I have seen.
Screenshot_20210902-232338_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210902-232338_Chrome.jpg (37.43 KiB) Viewed 4571 times
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
John Prater
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 343 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Prater »

Scott P wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:25 pm Dang. That's one of the most impressive things I have seen.

Screenshot_20210902-232338_Chrome.jpg
Note that his "Elapsed Time" was 27:37:47. The screenshot shows "Moving Time", which I'm sure is way off.
Eli Watson
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

Joey is an absolute stud for sure - current Unsupported Nolan's and Unsupported 24 hr 14ers (10) FKT holder among others. Didn't even realize the Utah 13ers FKT fell a few days ago, I was only aware of Jared and Luke's 2017 record. Even if one isn't prepared to move at such a pace, the nature of the Utah 13ers lend themselves to just knocking them all out with high camps.