Utah LIDAR analysis

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
beisner
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Utah LIDAR analysis

Post by beisner »

Following the methodology of what others have been doing in CO and WY, I've started working on analyzing available LIDAR data for peaks in Utah. I've been using the same methodology that Eli Boardman has been using for his analysis of WY peaks, found here.

Salt Lake County: summary of important takeaways:
  • One new ranked peak: the previously-soft-ranked Peak 8192 in the Emigration Canyon area
  • Peak 9773 on the Wildcat Ridge lost its ranked status
  • White Baldy is higher than Pfeifferhorn and may be higher than Broads Fork Twins as well, making it the 3rd or 2nd highest peak in the county
  • Broads Fork Twins' east peak, Honeycomb Cliffs' northwest peak, South Thunder (in comparison to North Thunder), and Perkins's north peak are higher than their other candidate high points, and correctly listed in LoJ
  • Peak 7824's south bump, and Little Mountain's central bump (one south of the current LoJ high point) are higher than their other candidate high points, and currently incorrectly listed in LoJ
  • Lookout Peak's east high point had a higher elevation in the LIDAR data, but within one foot of the west high point; this one is probably in the too-close-to-call realm
  • Several other wild swings in elevations and prominences of peaks occurred, but not in ways to affect any other peak's ranked status or change the lists of 11ers/10ers/etc.
Utah County: summary of important takeaways (currently unfinished):
  • New ranked peak: Lightning Peak
  • Timpanogos and Flat Top are indeed the 5000+ foot prominence high points of their respective areas, beating out South Timp and Lowe Peak
  • The western Twin Peak (the one near Strawberry Reservoir) is likely taller than Strawberry Peak by less than one foot, meaning that Strawberry Peak is completely de-ranked and the West Twin becomes a 1000+ foot prominence peak. However, this is within the too-close-to-call realm, and to be fully confident that you've summited the true prominent peak I would summit both.
Original post:

Personally, I'm most interested in the peaks in the Wasatch Range around Salt Lake County. So my first bit of analysis focused on all the high points in LoJ with at least 200 feet of prominence on or near the WURL: a total of 24 peaks.

So far, there's no new ranked peaks, but I've managed to confirm a few things and found a few interesting discoveries:
  • White Baldy overtook Pfeifferhorn as the third-highest peak in Salt Lake County: 11327 to 11321 feet. White Baldy also came in at only 1.5 feet lower than Broads Fork Twins (11328 feet); it's not outside the realm of possibility that White Baldy may truly be the second-highest peak in the county only behind American Fork Twins.
  • The east peak of Broads Fork Twins is indeed the high point, as is the northwest peak of the Honeycomb Cliffs. I also confirmed South Thunder as higher than North Thunder, which remains unranked.
  • Devils Castle gained over 50 feet in elevation and just missed out on joining the realm of 11ers at 10996 feet, although it is still unranked.
  • In contrast, Hidden Peak lost 40 feet in elevation. Snowbird has drastically altered the peak's profile and it no longer anywhere close to 11000 feet.
  • The Bells Cleaver's saddle lost 33 feet of elevation, which would have been enough for the peak to gain ranked status...but the peak itself also lost 9 feet, and it remains unranked.
Several other peaks also had 30+ foot swings in elevation or prominence, although not enough to affect any peak's ranked status. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we see a few substantive changes to the peak lists in the area after analyzing data on some other peaks. If anyone has any ideas of places in the Wasatch that they think might be holding some surprises, I'd certainly take a stab at analyzing them!

Unfortunately the big question will have to wait: there's currently no LIDAR data on The National Map near Kings Peak. But based on my trip there last summer...it wouldn't surprise me if South Kings is indeed higher. It certainly looked higher to me!
Last edited by beisner on Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:30 am, edited 8 times in total.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Utah LIDAR analysis

Post by Scott P »

beisner wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:50 pm But based on my trip there last summer...it wouldn't surprise me if South Kings is indeed higher. It certainly looked higher to me!
I have been all over those peaks and basins and from every single direction and from every peak South Kings looks higher. It would be really interesting to see the LIDAR analysis.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

beisner wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:50 pm If anyone has any ideas of places in the Wasatch that they think might be holding some surprises, I'd certainly take a stab at analyzing them!
The peaks of Wildcat Ridge would be really interesting since several are close in elevation. LoJ has them in order as 9780, 9776, and 9773. Peakbagger has them in order as 9776, 9773, and 9760 so the order is reversed from LoJ. (LoJ uses interpolated prominence while Peakbagger uses clean).

Perkins Peak would be really interesting. It's another one that LoJ and Peakbagger differ on which is the true summit. My thoughts are that LoJ is right, but sources such as Hiking the Wasatch and several maps use the 7491 point as the summit. Most people seem to climb the 7491 point so unless they climb both, they might be missing the true summit.

Gobblers Knob vs Raymond would be interesting.

Lookout Peak would be another interesting one. The topo map contours and the LoJ indicate that the eastern bump is higher. I remember the western bump as being higher. If so the topo map and LoJ is incorrect.

The three summits of Nebo. The north is probably the highest, but it is still interesting that for many decades the south was thought to be higher.

Mt. Baldy vs. Provo Peak.

Little Water vs. Murdock.

When the Uintas do get LIDAR coverage Emmons vs Gilbert and the Burnt Fork Peaks would be interesting.
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

If South Kings ends up being higher there are probably so many state highpointers who will have to go back up there! I am glad I ran that whole ridge when I went out there.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

beisner wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:50 pm Following the methodology of what others have been doing in CO and WY, I've started working on analyzing available LIDAR data for peaks in Utah. I've been using the same methodology that Eli Boardman has been using for his analysis of WY peaks, found here.

Personally, I'm most interested in the peaks in the Wasatch Range around Salt Lake County. So my first bit of analysis focused on all the high points in LoJ with at least 200 feet of prominence on or near the WURL: a total of 24 peaks.

So far, there's no new ranked peaks, but I've managed to confirm a few things and found a few interesting discoveries:
  • White Baldy overtook Pfeifferhorn as the third-highest peak in Salt Lake County: 11327 to 11321 feet. White Baldy also came in at only 1.5 feet lower than Broads Fork Twins (11328 feet); it's not outside the realm of possibility that White Baldy may truly be the second-highest peak in the county only behind American Fork Twins.
  • The east peak of Broads Fork Twins is indeed the high point, as is the northwest peak of the Honeycomb Cliffs. I also confirmed South Thunder as higher than North Thunder, which remains unranked.
  • Devils Castle gained over 50 feet in elevation and just missed out on joining the realm of 11ers at 10996 feet, although it is still unranked.
  • In contrast, Hidden Peak lost 40 feet in elevation. Snowbird has drastically altered the peak's profile and it no longer anywhere close to 11000 feet.
  • The Bells Cleaver's saddle lost 33 feet of elevation, which would have been enough for the peak to gain ranked status...but the peak itself also lost 9 feet, and it remains unranked.
Several other peaks also had 30+ foot swings in elevation or prominence, although not enough to affect any peak's ranked status. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we see a few substantive changes to the peak lists in the area after analyzing data on some other peaks. If anyone has any ideas of places in the Wasatch that they think might be holding some surprises, I'd certainly take a stab at analyzing them!

Unfortunately the big question will have to wait: there's currently no LIDAR data on The National Map near Kings Peak. But based on my trip there last summer...it wouldn't surprise me if South Kings is indeed higher. It certainly looked higher to me!
I'm fairly occupied at the moment, but if no one has checked your results yet, John or Eli might be able to. I can send you John's contact info if you haven't already submitted these to the website.

Let me know!

-Ben
beisner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by beisner »

I've gone and analyzed several more peaks, pretty much working my way from south to north in the county. At this point I've gotten through everything south of Mill Creek Canyon. And we have a few more interesting surprises, including a peak de-ranking!
Scott P wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:25 pm The peaks of Wildcat Ridge would be really interesting since several are close in elevation. LoJ has them in order as 9780, 9776, and 9773. Peakbagger has them in order as 9776, 9773, and 9760 so the order is reversed from LoJ. (LoJ uses interpolated prominence while Peakbagger uses clean).
This region was particularly tough to analyze due to how angular the rocks are and the presence of vegetation: it was sometimes difficult to determine what was actual ground versus what was just a shrub or small tree. I'd say there's probably still some uncertainty on the exact elevations. But my analysis showed that the LoJ order is correct: the central peak is the highest, then the east, then the west. However, there's a much bigger change here: the western peak (former Peak 9773) lost its ranked status. The peak itself actually gained 1 foot, but the saddle is 32 feet higher. With only 282 feet of true prominence it isn't even close, and I'm comfortable concluding that it is unranked despite the difficulties in measurement.

Another interesting find in the area: Olympus lost over 50 feet of prominence. It's still comfortably ranked (348 feet), but this area's map contours were wildly off in many areas.
Scott P wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:25 pm Gobblers Knob vs Raymond would be interesting.
I confirmed that Gobblers is indeed higher, by 11 feet. Gobblers's saddle shifted locations and is now at the next saddle to the northwest.

Also in the area: Soldier Peak gained nearly 60 feet of prominence. It's still unranked, but I've seen enough wild swings at this point that I think it's only a matter of time until we see a big surprise somewhere.
Scott P wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:25 pm Little Water vs. Murdock.
Little Water remains higher, by 7 feet (excluding the man-made structure near Murdock's summit).

I also confirmed that Silver Peak is indeed a 10er, and is higher than the unranked Desolation Peak. Peak 10420 is now Peak 10417 and just barely remains ranked with 305 feet of prominence. Guardsman Peak also remains ranked (I had suspected that it might get de-ranked).
bdloftin77 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:57 pm
I'm fairly occupied at the moment, but if no one has checked your results yet, John or Eli might be able to. I can send you John's contact info if you haven't already submitted these to the website.
Thanks! I don't have John's info myself, so that would be great. Certainly no rush at all in any sort of checking from anyone; it's not like any of these discoveries yet are massive game-changers like Kings/South Kings would be. My spreadsheet has the peak names; new and old elevations, saddles, and prominences; the LIDAR locations of the summits and saddles; the date analyzed; and a few notes on some peaks. Is there anything else I should include when I send them over?
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Good stuff. Thanks for doing this.
Gahugafuga
14ers: 53 
13ers: 98
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Gahugafuga »

beisner wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:39 pm
This region was particularly tough to analyze due to how angular the rocks are and the presence of vegetation: it was sometimes difficult to determine what was actual ground versus what was just a shrub or small tree. I'd say there's probably still some uncertainty on the exact elevations. But my analysis showed that the LoJ order is correct: the central peak is the highest, then the east, then the west. However, there's a much bigger change here: the western peak (former Peak 9773) lost its ranked status. The peak itself actually gained 1 foot, but the saddle is 32 feet higher. With only 282 feet of true prominence it isn't even close, and I'm comfortable concluding that it is unranked despite the difficulties in measurement.
Thanks, this is great info! It will save me some grief this summer when I climb UN 9780. Now please stop any further analysis before you hit the Millcreek/Parleys ridgeline. I'd hate to find out that my blood, sweat and tears in the scrub oak up there was for random, unranked bumps. :mrgreen:
beisner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by beisner »

I've now gotten through everything south of Emigration/Mountain Dell Canyons, and there's significantly fewer surprises in this area. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it.

The only noteworthy change involves Peak 7824 (a.k.a. Big Mountain South) just south of Big Mountain Pass. LoJ has the northern bump listed as higher, but the southern bump near the collapsed airway beacon is actually the high point. Makes this one substantially easier to bag, since now it's just a few feet off the trail rather than requiring a bushwhack.
Gahugafuga wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:03 am Thanks, this is great info! It will save me some grief this summer when I climb UN 9780. Now please stop any further analysis before you hit the Millcreek/Parleys ridgeline. I'd hate to find out that my blood, sweat and tears in the scrub oak up there was for random, unranked bumps. :mrgreen:
You'll be glad to know that there wasn't a single change of any note to the peaks on this ridgeline! And the soft-ranked Peak 7868 is unranked.
Scott P wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:25 pm Perkins Peak would be really interesting. It's another one that LoJ and Peakbagger differ on which is the true summit. My thoughts are that LoJ is right, but sources such as Hiking the Wasatch and several maps use the 7491 point as the summit. Most people seem to climb the 7491 point so unless they climb both, they might be missing the true summit.
The north summit is higher and it's not even close; LoJ is correct on this one. I'm glad that the north summit is the one we went to when I was there!
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

beisner wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:39 pm
Scott P wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:25 pm The peaks of Wildcat Ridge would be really interesting since several are close in elevation. LoJ has them in order as 9780, 9776, and 9773. Peakbagger has them in order as 9776, 9773, and 9760 so the order is reversed from LoJ. (LoJ uses interpolated prominence while Peakbagger uses clean).
This region was particularly tough to analyze due to how angular the rocks are and the presence of vegetation: it was sometimes difficult to determine what was actual ground versus what was just a shrub or small tree. I'd say there's probably still some uncertainty on the exact elevations. But my analysis showed that the LoJ order is correct: the central peak is the highest, then the east, then the west.
beisner wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:06 pm
Scott P wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:25 pm Perkins Peak would be really interesting. It's another one that LoJ and Peakbagger differ on which is the true summit. My thoughts are that LoJ is right, but sources such as Hiking the Wasatch and several maps use the 7491 point as the summit. Most people seem to climb the 7491 point so unless they climb both, they might be missing the true summit.
The north summit is higher and it's not even close; LoJ is correct on this one. I'm glad that the north summit is the one we went to when I was there!
I think these are good demonstrations of how using the clean prominence method (i.e. Peakbagger) is so much more error prone than using the interpolated prominence method (basically everyone else).

Anyway, keep up the good work.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Find anything interesting for Superior and Monte Cristo on the Cottonwood ridge between Big and Little? Echoing Scott… thanks for your efforts on this!

One more… anything interesting on Hobbs aka Triangle peak?
beisner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by beisner »

Alright, I made it through all the peaks in LoJ with at least 200 ft of prominence in Salt Lake County's portion of the Wasatch Range. I'll modify the original post to start with with a summary of the results that'll change things at all for peak-baggers.

Salt Lake County has a new ranked peak: the previously-soft-ranked Peak 8192 in the Emigration Canyon area! The peak remained the exact same elevation, but the saddle dropped slightly. Now I'm kicking myself for not summiting this one the last time I was in the area; I'll have to make a trip back there. It looked like a horrible bushwhack, not particularly looking forward to it.

One more important change of note: the true summit of Little Mountain is one bump to the south of where it's currently listed on LoJ. It barely remains ranked with 308 feet of prominence.
Scott P wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:25 pm Lookout Peak would be another interesting one. The topo map contours and the LoJ indicate that the eastern bump is higher. I remember the western bump as being higher. If so the topo map and LoJ is incorrect.
The eastern bump is higher in the LIDAR data...by less than 1 foot. I'll put this one in the "too close to call" category!

Also in the area, Peak 8901 (now Peak 8905) gained nearly 100 feet of prominence. The saddle contours were way off for this one.
greenonion wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:36 am Find anything interesting for Superior and Monte Cristo on the Cottonwood ridge between Big and Little? Echoing Scott… thanks for your efforts on this!

One more… anything interesting on Hobbs aka Triangle peak?
Cristo is comfortably higher than Superior. For all the non-locals looking at this, the nomenclature is weird in this area: what LoJ calls "Superior Peak" is known to all the locals as "Monte Cristo", while "Mount Superior" refers to the smaller summit just east of it where the Cottonwood Ridge intersects Cardiac Ridge.

I didn't analyze Triangle Peak, since it LoJ lists it as only having 160 feet of prominence. But if you think it might be holding some secrets, I can take a look at it. I've never been to Wildcat Ridge myself so don't have a sanity check on what I'd expect (but it's on my list and I'd love to do that traverse soon).