Easy summits in Cirque of the Towers or Glacier NP?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Codyhill1991
14ers: 58 
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (0)

Easy summits in Cirque of the Towers or Glacier NP?

Post by Codyhill1991 »

Hey everyone. I am planning a backpacking trip in a couple of days to the Cirque - I don't have a lot of time there, and I had pretty much just planned to backpack/sight see/walk around/stare at lakes. However, now that the trip is coming up, I'm kicking myself for not doing more research on peaks in the area. I have an available morning that I'd love to use to summit something before hiking out and getting back to my car. Do you know of any peaks close to the Lonesome Lake area, that would be doable in a few hours from camp, that don't exceed class 3? Seems a shame to be in the area and not see things from high up, but I'm alone and a little out of practice for route finding in technical terrain.

While I'm here...I'm also headed to Glacier National Park for a few days. Again, I had planned to just spend my time hiking to lakes and over passes on established trails and whatnot, since I've never been there and don't have a backpacking permit, I was going to essentially play tourist. But, I'd LOVE the opportunity to summit a peak and get away from the crowds a little bit, within my class 3+ish comfort zone. I am of course doing my own research, but it's always nice to hear specific recommendations from the folks on this forum. Any advice for a week in Glacier would be very welcome - I'm biking the road one day but otherwise have essentially just picked a dozen trails off Alltrails. I'm sure all those beautiful popular lakes and passes have some fun peaks nearby and I could use a good scramble.

Thanks as always.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Easy summits in Cirque of the Towers or Glacier NP?

Post by Wildernessjane »

Glacier National Park is beautiful but expect high exposure with LOTS of kitty litter/scree. That said, Reynolds was a fun little day trip. We also really enjoyed this Quadra-Fecta route but there was plenty of nonsense involved: https://www.mountainproject.com/route/1 ... adra-fecta

As for the Cirque of the Towers, look into Mitchell Peak. We went up one of the technical routes and down a walk off route on the other side. The views are spectacular.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I believe Mitchell is Class 2 and it's on the way to the Cirque. Could either do it on the way in or out.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Siyeh (pronounced Sigh-yee) is the easiest and most accessible of the park's 10,000-footers and can be dayhiked from the GTTS Road. It has a short scrambling section so goes YDS 2+ or maybe 3.

Note Glacier has its own class rating system based on the looseness of the rock, so when researching make sure you know whether the specified class is YDS or Glacier.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Mt. Mitchell is the easiest of the major peaks around the Cirque and has the best view of the Cirque itself.

Warbonnet has a class 3 route up it's west side.

If you head south the the area around Deep Lake East Temple is a spectacular ascent and isn't too hard.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

Camels Hump (12,537') in the Cirque is an exceptional half day from camp 3rd class scramble on great rock. There is maybe? one 4th class move just below the summit but otherwise pretty moderate with some exceptional views.
Codyhill1991
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Codyhill1991 »

Thanks so much everyone! Definitely gonna take a look at Mitchell Peak and Camel's Hump.