Fatality on Mt. Rainier

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Fatality on Mt. Rainier

Post by 14erFred »

Climbing fatality reported on the Disappointment Cleaver route on Rainier:
https://apple.news/AOJWveig0TuaD1ODImY2D-Q
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Fatality on Mt. Rainier

Post by WVMountaineer »

Very unfortunate and sad to hear. I had an unsuccessful summit of Rainier via the DC route turning around at 13k. I'm curious to understand how this person was part of a climbing group and fell unprotected or unroped. It seems way too late in the season for a ski descent. My only guess is there was some type of gear failure/misuse or maybe happened in the area of the "bowling alley" where the DC route is climbing on steep rocky cliff bands where some teams choose to go off rope.
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
ellenmseb
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 41 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by ellenmseb »

second hand info from a PNW fb group:

* He fell unroped on the actual Disappointment Cleaver section of the DC route, which is a loose rock scramble.
* The slight consensus among climbers is that the wisest decision is usually to unrope on the DC. The rope will increase rockfall, and people don't generally bring rock pro to protect this, so being roped up will just bring down your teammates with you if you fall. that being said, plenty of teams (including all guided groups) do stay roped up there.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

ellenmseb wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:32 pm second hand info from a PNW fb group:

* He fell unroped on the actual Disappointment Cleaver section of the DC route, which is a loose rock scramble.
* The slight consensus among climbers is that the wisest decision is usually to unrope on the DC. The rope will increase rockfall, and people don't generally bring rock pro to protect this, so being roped up will just bring down your teammates with you if you fall. that being said, plenty of teams (including all guided groups) do stay roped up there.
Not sure there would be much in the way of gear placements in the cleaver. It is a pile of loose pumice and it is enough for me to avoid it if I ever climb rainier again from that side.
bsiegs
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bsiegs »

Really sad news. We chose to short rope the Cleaver section when my team climbed a few weeks ago. This is what the rangers recommended and I believe it's what the guided groups did as well.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

Conor wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:38 pm
ellenmseb wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:32 pm second hand info from a PNW fb group:

Not sure there would be much in the way of gear placements in the cleaver. It is a pile of loose pumice and it is enough for me to avoid it if I ever climb rainier again from that side.
I also didn’t feel like this was an area where one would feel the need to place gear. It’s rotten and loose but not super exposed. We chose not to unrope because it’s such a short section (albeit miserable mostly because you are walking on loose scree in crampons and there is a bottle-neck so you feel the pressure to move fast) that it’s not worth it. We short-roped mostly to save time and so that we could keep the rope off the ground. Many other parties were doing the same. The article I saw said he fell in the area of the Cleaver. I have to wonder if there’s more to this story.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

That's always so sad to hear.
I've been on that section 3 times, always roped, but we kept it short for rockfall.

Rainier is an amazing mountain, my favorite in the 48, but is not a thing to be taken lightly.