Best Volcano Outside USA to Ski

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JulianSmith
14ers: 57  41  13 
13ers: 52 8 2
Trip Reports (0)

Best Volcano Outside USA to Ski

Post by JulianSmith »

Dreaming of 2022; am interested in getting out of the USA to ski some volcanos. For a solo traveler, what is the best volcano outside of the USA to ski? What is the best time of year to ski it? Thinking in terms of combining the nicest climb/descent, most aesthetic peak, and least complicated glacier. Many thanks for any advice.

Cheers.

Julian
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Best Volcano Outside USA to Ski

Post by nyker »

I've climbed (but not skied), Mt Ngauruhoe and Ruapehu in NZ, always though they'd be a cool ski descent for those with that skillset.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

I’d try something in Argentina or Chile. Volcan Villarrica even has a ski area on it.
JulianSmith
14ers: 57  41  13 
13ers: 52 8 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JulianSmith »

seano wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:05 pm I’d try something in Argentina or Chile. Volcan Villarrica even has a ski area on it.
Thanks. I have been noodling around, but most of the stuff I am running into is for guided stuff. TR's of folks going out and just bagging peaks is a little harder to come by. I think it's got to be happening though.
TakeMeToYourSummit
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 287 25 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

seano wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:05 pm I’d try something in Argentina or Chile. Volcan Villarrica even has a ski area on it.
This ^^^ Before I ever owned a splitboard here in the US - I rented one through Aguaventura Expediciones Pucon & went up Volcan Villarrica. I was able to study the standard route up through Ski Pucon from a map they had on their wall. A fun ride down (fyi - the standard route puts you almost exactly across from the true summit, still a great line) & I encountered no crevasses or such when I did that route 7 or 8 years ago. Let me know if I can get you any additional info.
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Osorno does as well. Not sure how high the lifts go.
JacobW
14ers: 45  17  4 
13ers: 21 11 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by JacobW »

Haven't been there, but I've been hoping to ski Rishiri for years.
Woodie Hopper
13ers: 75
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Woodie Hopper »

Parinacota is about as straightforward as it goes for a high 6,000er in the Cordillera Occidental in Bolivia along the border with Chile. We didn't rope up and if there is new snow, it could be a nice long easy rip down. Peering down into the massive caldera is a nice bonus. Oh and others have also skied nearby Sajama (which is higher and the tallest in Bolivia) which takes at least one camp on the way up unlike Parinacota. There are plenty of trip reports out there.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Mount Fuji...how can I have overlooked that. You can pick up quite the descent on that if you go all the way to the shrine at the bottom.
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

Niseko Annupuri, mostly lift served with a short hike to the summit. I went years ago, got to the top in a whiteout, and was just told to go down. It was a 3000+ foot descent in three feet of powder and face shots with every turn.

Maybe you’re not exactly earning your turns, but wow what an experience.

And then there’s this place, which I visited many years ago, and is still my greatest travel experience.
82653A15-9B0F-46AD-913A-C6CA77E1E1E2.jpeg
82653A15-9B0F-46AD-913A-C6CA77E1E1E2.jpeg (97.29 KiB) Viewed 5689 times
IG: jc_solitude