Iceland - Camper Vans

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
griddles
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Iceland - Camper Vans

Post by griddles »

We are pretty flexible on time so wondering if there is much of a difference on the last weeks of April to the first bit of May? Is it like the PNW where there is a big change to the weather right after July 4 or just some arbitrary date for higher prices? We are probably looking for about 7 days in the van with 1-2 nights back in town to recover/eat better. Not super interested in peak-bagging or anything extreme some nice walk abouts are more our vacation speed. Some of the the glacier tours (for Vatnajokull) seem to go all year round (and appear about the same). Thanks again for insights.
sooshee
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sooshee »

Summer is peak tourist season, with the most daylight and better weather. In April/May it is still quite wintry at times (but still tons of daylight compared to us at more moderate latitudes - by end of April there's over 16.5 hours of daylight a day in Reykjavik). The landscape is also way more green - springtime will be brown (if that is a worry). The saying for Iceland is if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes... and it is quite true there, even in summer. Snow and winter conditions are just more expected in April and May.

Glaciers are available all year around, just mostly see the change from the hard, blue ice of winter to the white/black softer ice in the warmer months. Most ice caves are not accessible in the summer months, which is the biggest factor when it comes to the glaciers.

Summer prices is why I traveled in September for my first trip, and then the middle of winter the second time. However, in the last few years September has become increasingly popular so not as cheap anymore. However, next time I want to do a lot of highlands stuff and have nearly unlimited daylight, so I'm going to suck it up and deal with the mid-summer prices.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Not a van opp, but for anyone interested in a trip to Iceland sponsored by the University of Utah... https://continue.utah.edu/golearn/iceland22
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

greenonion wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:20 pm Not a van opp, but for anyone interested in a trip to Iceland sponsored by the University of Utah... https://continue.utah.edu/golearn/iceland22
$5900-$6650 plus airfare for a 10 day trip that only visits the normal tourist destinations? Ouch.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.