Chile Climbing Partners

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
123tqb
14ers: 25  4  3 
13ers: 19 4 3
Trip Reports (24)

Chile Climbing Partners

Post by 123tqb »

I'll be moving to Valparaíso, Chile for the duration of the fall semester (Jun 2022 - Dec 2022), and I'm hoping to find some partners for winter mountaineering while I'm there (objectives along the lines of Cerro El Plomo, Volcán San José, Cerro El Morado, and maybe Cerro Aconcagua). Is anyone going to be down there at the same time and wants to meet up? Additionally does anyone know of a good way to meet partners while there? I'd happily take down contacts right now, or join a mountaineering club or the likes when I get there. I do speak Spanish so I'd be excited to meet up with some locals too!
Sometimes you don't think it be like it is, but it do.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Chile Climbing Partners

Post by seano »

I'll be curious what you find if you climb Morado. Note that the glaciers up the Estero Morado are in sad shape, making them miserable and treacherous. You'll want to find some recent route beta.

You should also look at Nevado Juncal in the Parque Andino Juncal, on the way to Aconcagua. There's a nice refugio at the base, and Juncal is a fun climb with a cool summit camp that won't be badly affected by glacial retreat.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Just and FYI about travelling to Chile right now. Chile seems to have some of the strictest requirements for travel in the world right now. This is from a contact I have down there that I have been talking to about crossing the border (though the border crossing won't effect you, but the rest will). I was asking the below since I want to climb Tronador from the Argentine side, but it was easier to get a plane ticket to Puerto Montt on the Chile side and the contact warned me about the below.

Travelling to Chile can be tricky for all the requirements that are imposed, especially the verification of their vaccines which takes a lot of days to be done and can easily go wrong. You cannot enter without that. Chile has amazing places, but you need to have sure to make it through the borders. Argentina has plenty of mountains to climb as well...

I guess the climbs would depend on if you can travel to Chile or not. They request several things to enter such as insurance for covid and the validation of your vaccines in https://mevacuno.gob.cl/ (it can take more than 15days to be validated)

The above pretty much matches the info on the following, other than the below doesn't mention the things that can go wrong and it also says that getting verified can take up to four weeks. Make sure to read up on the Mobility Pass Requirements. There's a lot in there (including that you need boosters, not just the COVID shots):

https://cl.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Just something to be aware of and things can change at any time.

Anyway, if I end up going my main goals are climbing Tronador from the Argentine side and Osorno and Villarrica in Chile. In Argentina I'd also do the Nahuel Huapi Traverse for sure and possibly climb Bonete (the one near Bariloche).

Since I'm wary of buying a plane ticket to Chile, I may just buy one to Argentina and sticking to that side. In that case, I'd climb Tronador, do the Nahuel Huapi Traverse, climb Bonete, and head north to climb Lanin.

I'd be going in late November/early December. If you are interested in these mountains, you could certainly join me, but it's not really close to the part of Chile that you will be in.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
TakeMeToYourSummit
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 287 25 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

Scott P wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:41 pm Villarrica in Chile.
A great mountain - I'd recommend as a snowclimb from the Ski Pucon resort (this was my route years ago). I was just down there a few months ago & everything Scott says is true. We had a 5 day quarantine even with proof of vac, a negative test a couple days before we went, & another test upon landing in the airport. Lots of hoops to jump through. Due to almost half our trip being eaten up by the quarantine & other family affairs I had to downgrade a planned 18er for a 6er closer to one of our locations of stay - Concon. Cerro La Campana became the plan & I would highly recommend this (if the timing allows you to see it before the park closes for the winter). It's not technical or even very high - but not far from Valparaíso & offers great views (Aconcagua & the Pacific). The only downside of the hike was the graffiti on many, many rocks of the summit area - such a shame. I'd gladly share other info via PM if you need advice from my 6 trips down to Chile.
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

Voodoo Chile'd
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
123tqb
Trip Reports (24)

Post by 123tqb »

As to the difficulties in getting there, I'm fortunate that I'll be doing a study abroad program that should allow me to obtain an easier visa (at least I hope!). I'll definitely check out Villarrica and the lake district, it seems like a great area for some fun stratovolcano climbing!
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

TakeMeToYourSummit wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:34 pm
Scott P wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:41 pm Villarrica in Chile.
A great mountain - I'd recommend as a snowclimb from the Ski Pucon resort (this was my route years ago). I was just down there a few months ago & everything Scott says is true. We had a 5 day quarantine even with proof of vac, a negative test a couple days before we went, & another test upon landing in the airport. Lots of hoops to jump through.
Yikes
I'm looking to head down there in november. I hope the requirements loosen up by then
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
willlintner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by willlintner »

Hey, although I don’t have a ton of climbing experience, I am going to be in Valpo for June and July, and if you’re looking for someone to tag along on some weekends, I would love to. According to the other guys on here it seems like there are some awesome places to hike
123tqb
Trip Reports (24)

Post by 123tqb »

So as it turns out I won't be able to make it to Chile due to some class scheduling issues :/

I'd love to hear about the area if you remember to post when you get back! I still want to get down there some day...