Innsbruck, Austria Easy-Moderate Peaks

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Innsbruck, Austria Easy-Moderate Peaks

Post by Carl_Healy »

Anyone have suggestions for easy to moderate peaks worth summiting near Innsbruck, Austria?
I'm not talking about anything technical, will be passing through the last week of this month.

Maybe somewhere in these ranges:
  • Class 1 - 2+
  • 6-12 miles RT (9.5 - 19 km)
  • 3000-6000 ft vertical (915-1830 m)
I see peaks like Kleiner Solstein that look interesting but perhaps on the more difficult end of that range I was looking for, depending on where I'm able to start the route (any reliable beta would be nice too).
Ideally the start of the route is also accessible via public transit.
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Innsbruck, Austria Easy-Moderate Peaks

Post by thebeave7 »

Forget peaks and get a via ferrata kit.
Two that come to mind are the Kaiser Max and the Absamer klettersteigs. Such a fun region.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
Carl_Healy
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Carl_Healy »

thebeave7 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:32 pm Forget peaks and get a via ferrata kit.
Two that come to mind are the Kaiser Max and the Absamer klettersteigs. Such a fun region.

Eric
Hadn't considered that but looks pretty cool!
Will likely need to rent all the gear there as I won't be packing my climbing gear.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

I have this book buried in my basement somewhere, but it was helpful when I was stationed in Germany:

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/100-hikes ... on=1670675
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

Carl_Healy wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:50 am
thebeave7 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:32 pm Forget peaks and get a via ferrata kit.

Eric
Will likely need to rent all the gear there as I won't be packing my climbing gear.
I’m sure it’s easy and not too expensive to rent a harness and ferrata leashes. Do it! I don’t know about the ones Eric suggests, but klettersteigs were originally for WWI soldiers, which is perhaps why they’re not too common here.
Last edited by seano on Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
thomasdavem1
14ers: 41  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thomasdavem1 »

I'd highly recommend Hafelekar. It's a good hike with several ways up, stunning views, and is super accessible from town. You can start at the very bottom, or use the Nordkettenbahnen cable car (also accessible from town) and get off at several stops along the way.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

seano wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:20 am
Carl_Healy wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:50 am

Eric
I’m sure it’s easy and not too expensive to rent a harness and ferrata leashes. Do it! I don’t know about the ones Eric suggests, but klettersteigs were originally for WWI soldiers, which is perhaps why they’re not too common here.
I'll echo that renting a via ferrata setup in europe will be abundant, easy and not too costly.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

If you take the Nordkettebahn up, there are a number of peaks easily accessible, some via klettersteig (via ferrata) as mentioned above, but some purely walkable. If you head east on the Goetheweg trail, Mandlspitze is an easy walk up with delightful views of the other peaks on the ridgeline and the Zugspitze/Wetterstein massif to the northwest. https://www.strava.com/activities/2808421974
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

I'm actually flying out to Mayrhofen, Fulpmes and the dolomites to do just that this weekend. Via ferrata = klettersteig, just in Italian and German.
Tons of places will rent you a harness, leash and helmet for the day to check it out.

As Seano said the original ones down in the dolomites and Central Alps were made as WWI routes through the mountains by soldiers. More recent ones are called 'sports' ferratas, as they are built for fun. There are ferratas in Ouray and Telluride now too.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
Carl_Healy
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Carl_Healy »

Thanks for the suggestions!

Innsbruck Nordketten Via Ferrata / Klettersteig was pretty fun!
Section 2
Section 2
IMG-20220829-WA0002.jpg (174.43 KiB) Viewed 5660 times
I'll have to come back for the peaks west of that route, or more via ferratas.