Kilian Jornet Sets Everest Fastest Known Time

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Kilian Jornet Sets Everest Fastest Known Time

Post by Tory Wells »

schumi248 wrote:Is that time round trip or one way??
RT
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

Looks like a couple corrections are needed. He started from the north side base camp not the monestary as his original plan was. No hillary step on the north side. That is his ascent time, not RT.
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

Tory Wells wrote:
schumi248 wrote:Is that time round trip or one way??
I'm sure it is one way since in his blog it talks about kilian resting in advanced camp due to feeling sick.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Kammerlander was also carrying skis (at least to 300m below the summit).
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Jim Davies wrote:Kammerlander was also carrying skis (at least to 300m below the summit).
But did he climb 500m with diarrhea?
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
gonefishing05
14ers: 8  2 
13ers: 4 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gonefishing05 »

i have a couple friends (one guide and one "client") who summitted everest on sunday, rested at camp 4, then summitted lhotse. all in a roughly 30hr window. this is a similarly impressive feat in my mind. spending that much time in the death zone... jeez
jkillgore
14ers: 30  2  2 
13ers: 68
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jkillgore »

gonefishing05 wrote:i have a couple friends (one guide and one "client") who summitted everest on sunday, rested at camp 4, then summitted lhotse. all in a roughly 30hr window. this is a similarly impressive feat in my mind. spending that much time in the death zone... jeez
Similarly impressive feat = without O2?
gonefishing05
14ers: 8  2 
13ers: 4 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gonefishing05 »

jkillgore wrote:
gonefishing05 wrote:i have a couple friends (one guide and one "client") who summitted everest on sunday, rested at camp 4, then summitted lhotse. all in a roughly 30hr window. this is a similarly impressive feat in my mind. spending that much time in the death zone... jeez
no, they used supplemental o2. still leaving me beyond impressed, personally.
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

jkillgore wrote:
Extremely impressive feat = with O3...and surviving. :mrgreen:
JtheChemE
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JtheChemE »

CreekRunner wrote:
jkillgore wrote:
Extremely impressive feat = with O3...and surviving. :mrgreen:
O3 is kinda your buddy at extreme elevations, unless you are a fan of your DNA being damaged by UVBs. Just sayin.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Seems like he summited Everest again. From his blog-
Kilian Jornet summited Mount Everest twice in a week without using supplemental oxygen. For this ascent, Kilian Jornet left on May 27th from Advanced Base Camp (6.500m) and it took him 17 hours to the summit in a very windy day. From there, he returned to the Advanced Base Camp where he is resting with Seb Montaz. More info soon. #OurEverest
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Inconceivable!

Where ever you are... There you are.