Pico de Orizaba questions

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ddeckys
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Pico de Orizaba questions

Post by ddeckys »

macgyver wrote:These are great responses. I've been reading trip reports on mid-end of March climbs. That appears to be nearing the end of the ideal window. What would be expected around that time? With the grade being fairly sustained, would you recommend a longer ice axe for comfort (say 70cm for a 5'11 guy)? Mtn_Nut, I'd be interested in your gpx. Any good photos of the labyrinth out there that could help with confusing sections? Thanks!

MacG
As an update to everyone, me and my friend ended up summiting Orizaba on November 19th! Here is my trip report, the GPX route is included: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=18390
There are also a few photos of the labyrinth, however from my understanding the best route changes with the ice conditions. Honestly route finding was much easier than I expected and if you do an acclimation hike the day before to scout the route in combination with GPX you should have no problems at all. I can attest to what others have said, the conditions on the glacier are completely horrendous this year, by midday on our summit day the ice was like glass it was terrifying. If I were to ever climb Orizaba again I would do the southern route.

Edit: @rkeuchel it's likely we may have seen each other on the mountain, we were staying in the hut on Nov 18th and 19th.
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

ddeckys wrote:
macgyver wrote:These are great responses. I've been reading trip reports on mid-end of March climbs. That appears to be nearing the end of the ideal window. What would be expected around that time? With the grade being fairly sustained, would you recommend a longer ice axe for comfort (say 70cm for a 5'11 guy)? Mtn_Nut, I'd be interested in your gpx. Any good photos of the labyrinth out there that could help with confusing sections? Thanks!

MacG
As an update to everyone, me and my friend ended up summiting Orizaba on November 19th! Here is my trip report, the GPX route is included: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=18390
There are also a few photos of the labyrinth, however from my understanding the best route changes with the ice conditions. Honestly route finding was much easier than I expected and if you do an acclimation hike the day before to scout the route in combination with GPX you should have no problems at all. I can attest to what others have said, the conditions on the glacier are completely horrendous this year, by midday on our summit day the ice was like glass it was terrifying. If I were to ever climb Orizaba again I would do the southern route.

Edit: @rkeuchel it's likely we may have seen each other on the mountain, we were staying in the hut on Nov 18th and 19th.
Glad you and rkeuchel were able to successfully make it. Also, good writeup of your trip. When I was there in November all those accidents started happening and decided to not even try. Who knows what might have happened but I’m ok with it. I’d like to go back down again in a year or two and climb either Orizaba or Iztaccihuatl, probably the latter.

Regarding Mexico City, I made a bet with myself to see if I could get around without taking a taxi or Uber and just rely on the metro and was able to do so pretty easily. I would spend a week just in Mexico City if I could but there’s too much of the rest of the country I wanna see.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

CorduroyCalves wrote:Who knows what might have happened but I’m ok with it. I’d like to go back down again in a year or two and climb either Orizaba or Iztaccihuatl, probably the latter.
You know Ixta is higher on my list so let's do it in November! In fact I would probably just spend the first night in Mexico City or Amecameca depending on when the flight arrives, 2nd night at La Joya, third night tent camping at the Grupo de los Cien hut, and have an extra day for weather.
bfrieden
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bfrieden »

Hello!

I'll be heading to Mexico to climb Orizaba in a little over a week and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for things to do around Mexico City or even Pico de Orizaba. We'll have a day or two to kill after the climb if our first attempt is successful and we're hoping to have some fun and do some exploring. Museums to hikes to beaches to sunrise spots to lucha libre etc., any advice is appreciated. We're broke college kids, so we'll be travelling by bus and will need cheap adventures haha. Also if you have any recommended must try foods, that'd be great too.

Thanks!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Cholula is always interesting.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Stevo
14ers: 54 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stevo »

bfrieden wrote:Hello!

I'll be heading to Mexico to climb Orizaba in a little over a week and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for things to do around Mexico City or even Pico de Orizaba. We'll have a day or two to kill after the climb if our first attempt is successful and we're hoping to have some fun and do some exploring. Museums to hikes to beaches to sunrise spots to lucha libre etc., any advice is appreciated. We're broke college kids, so we'll be travelling by bus and will need cheap adventures haha. Also if you have any recommended must try foods, that'd be great too.

Thanks!
bfrieden-

We just went about a month ago and had a blast. The village you start in Tlachichuca is super cool and definitely check it out. If you stay there the night after you summit you can see the whole village and be done with if it so I wouldn't plan to stay too long there afterwards. If you stay in Mexico City you can check out the pyramids at Teotihuacan and then Zoloco square in downtown. Both were highlights of our trip. There is plenty of good food in Mexico city- hard to recommend a place since I don't know where you are staying and the city is incredibly large. Ubers are almost as cheap as buses and more convenient in some cases so don't rule that option out. You can live like a king in Mexico City for a fraction of what it would cost in Colorado.

You're gonna love it!
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Thanks!
The pyramids of Teotihuacan are definitely a place to go visit when you have time in Mexico City (easily a few hours and you can be done). We did it on our last day after Orizaba before flying back home.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Thanks!
The Zocalo and cathedral
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

For food El Tizoncito in La Condesa is excellent, though pricy, relatively speaking. Their tacos al pastor are top-notch. Another good place for tacos al pastor is El Huequito. It’s a chain so you should be able to find one close to where you’re staying. Lastly, I also really liked Taqueria Tlaquepaque. It’s close to Zocalo/Cathedral so if you’re in that area it would be easy to get to.

As others have noted, Teotihuacan is a worthwhile visit. Last time I was down there I visited the Museum of Memory and Tolerance. It largely focuses on The Holocaust but covers other genocides. Very moving and educational. It’s also across the street from Alameda Central, Mexico City’s oldest park. I spent an hour or so walking around while eating paletas.

Hope you have a good time!
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
fcguillen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fcguillen »

mtn_nut wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:21 pm Its a fairly straightforward climb, however when i did it the glacier was essentially a sheet of ice, so having good crampon form was key, and self arresting if you tripped yourself up or something would have been painful and difficult. If you'd like my GPS track my ascent route, i'd be happy to share. earlier in the season there should be more snow, so hopefully it won't be as icy. I did it at the end of January.

I showed up at the Cancholas without a reservation, paid up i think $100/person for a gas canister, some clean water, a ride up there and back in their 4WD, two meals at there house (before and after), and a night at their place. Maribel speaks english well, and they are very good people. We had good weather, so we camped at 15,100' right at the start of the labyrinth (at the top of the first big incline). There are a couple good spots there. Summited the next day.

As far as footwear goes, you're on the north side of the mountain during the climb, and it can be very cold in the morning. I did it in single mountaineering boots and was okay, but i run warm. My partner runs cold, and was wearing spantiks (very warm double boots) and was still a little cold. I would not recommend anything less than a mountaineering boot in case there is significant hard ice on the route or if you have to kick steps in portions of hard snow.
Hey mtn_nut!
Reading your post here and finding it extremely useful. I am planning on climbing Orizaba the 2nd week of Feb'24. If you still have the GPS route available I want to take you on you offer of sharing it. I am planning to go up with a couple of friends, but w/o a guide. We will be walking up to Piedra Grande for acclimation instead of driving there.
Please let me know if you still have the gps file.

Regards
Fernando
alexhenes
14ers: 58  19  5 
13ers: 721 61 5
Trip Reports (72)

Post by alexhenes »

WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said. Summited Pico 12/14/22 with 3 friends self guided. I didn't see any videos in the trip reports posted so I'll contribute a very short look around from the glacier around 17k ft on Pico's standard route. It should help reinforce the idea that you really don't want to take an uncontrolled fall on this steep glacier.

"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup