Kilimanjaro August 2018

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Kilimanjaro August 2018

Post by Scott P »

The Seven Summits look like they will cost ~$200k unless you go the absolutely no-frills options.
It still seems high unless you go with a US based fully guided tour for all climbs.

Denali: $2000 (unguided)
Aconcagua: $2200 (unguided)
Elbrus: $2200-$2400 (assuming Pilgrim Tours guided cost = $1091; & Summits Club Guided cost = $1390; can be done cheaper independently)
Kilimanjaro: $5000
Everest: $43,000 (Guided costs = $39,900 with 7summits Club)
Kościuszko: $2000
Vinson: $43,000 (difficult to do unguided)

Total = $99,400

If you do the Carstensz version it would cost around $19,000-20,000 if you went fully guided (7 summits Club guided trip = $17,670). That's too bad; it used to be much cheaper. I wish I did it years ago and before the more recent problems.'

That would still come out to around $120,000, even if you went fully guided on the more difficult peaks.

For peaks such as Elbrus, if you want to go guided, it's better to use one of the reputable local companies (such as Pilgrim Tours or 7 Summits Club). The 7 Summits Club does (comparatively) less expensive trips to Everest and Carstensz and is a very reputable company. I haven't signed up with them, but if I did, I would choose them. I met those guys while mountaineering in the Atacama. They eat good and were always inviting us over to their big tent for dinner, dessert, and games. While we were eating things like Ramen Soup and crackers, they were dining on salmon, champagne, and chocolate mousse (and would share it with us free of charge!). They also had satellite weather forecast and they shared them with us. I was really impressed with their operation and with the famous climber Alex Abramov, who owns the company. After we got back, I sent him an email through his website thanking him for his hospitality, and he thanked me for being a good father to my son. It was a really nice comment, especially considering Alex is probably one of the most well known (especially outside the US) and best climbers in the world. Here is the email he sent:

Hi Scott

It was grate time on Ohos!!!)
Irena, Oleg and Dima reached summit with me.

I was wary glad to se how much time and love you give to your sone. You are very good father.

When I was return to Moscow I decide to take my sone from my first family to my present house.
And it happened, because I sow how you love your child.
Now me and my sone stay together.

Please be happy. And see you in the mountains.

--
Отправлено из мобильной Яндекс.Почты

Anyway, if you do go guided on some of these, I would seriously look into his company for some of your trips.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

Don't forget the cost of everest also went up because of a pre requisite to bag a 7000m peak before you get on everest. Coincidentally, all 7000+m peaks reside in Central Asia. I've had my eye on spatnik for awhile now and hope to put together a trip there in the next year or 2. It seems to be the most cost effective option, but few will probably visit because of traveling to Pakistan. At least I hope that is the case.
OrngChocD
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OrngChocD »

I'm an occasional reader of this forum. Haven't managed a 14er yet but I've been at 15K+' a few times, mostly after 50. I don't have the climbing knowledge or skills of seemingly everyone on this forum, so I'm hesitating to post. But I summitted Kili via Western Breach a few years ago and have a different background and perspective. I feel compelled to say a few things and hope that it would be of value to someone here planning to do Kili -

- unless doing a self-powered (minimal support) climb, which are far from the norm on Kili, given the typical clientele and the general setup of the Kili operators, please don't stiff the locals (crew, porters etc.) by going with a cheap quote. The cost of a climb is fairly well understood. Low quotes usually means corners being cut, labour being exploited, etc.. Not suggesting, of course, that going with a high quote is better where the middle man (usually with higher marketing budget) gets the bulk of the funds.

- don't disregard AMS issues and do seek information from reputable sources (which exclude online forums :)). 19K' is not 14K', and as y'all probably know, altitude doesn't care for our fitness or mountaineering skills, or lack thereof. Or our body's previous response(s) to altitude. I know people who have died of AMS and know (of) super fit people who had to turn back from several thousand feet below the Kili summit due to AMS. Unlike for Everest and some other ultra mountains, no statistics are kept for Kili. Unless an event makes it to the press, one hardly ever hears of/from people who went up too fast for their genetics/health/stars and had to retreat, or didn't live to tell the tale. The week before I went, a middle aged guy died well below the summit (I think around the tree line) and another young man (20s), who claimed to be fine at the summit, died on the way down a few months after my trip. One companion (not on Kili) got HAPE at ~16K' (after a couple of nights of being fine at 15K') even as she insisted that she was fine. Cognitive skills could be compromised at altitude, if not already diminished at sea level by ego, cockiness, other pre-existing character flaws and questionable judgment patterns.

- be very clear and sure of the personal terms of your endeavour (making it to summit even if puking all the way, summitting in < N days, accepting where you need to turn around if short of your goal.....)
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Don't forget the cost of everest also went up because of a pre requisite to bag a 7000m peak before you get on everest.
That's only on the Nepal side and right now is still a proposal rather than law. Not that it isn't a bad idea though. Similar proposals have been proposed every year for the last four, but thus far none have been implemented.

The permit cost from the Nepal side is expected to rise to $15K though.
It seems to be the most cost effective option, but few will probably visit because of traveling to Pakistan.
The current proposal says it must be a Nepali 7000 meter peak. Pakistan doesn't count.

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2017/12 ... abilities/

I would think that Lenin Peak would be less expensive than Spantik, though it wouldn't count either if the new proposal were ever implemented.

Spantik is on my list though, so if you do attempt it, let me know. I may be interested in going.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

Scott P wrote:
Don't forget the cost of everest also went up because of a pre requisite to bag a 7000m peak before you get on everest.
That's only on the Nepal side and right now is still a proposal rather than law. Not that it isn't a bad idea though. Similar proposals have been proposed every year for the last four, but thus far none have been implemented.

The permit cost from the Nepal side is expected to rise to $15K though.
It seems to be the most cost effective option, but few will probably visit because of traveling to Pakistan.
The current proposal says it must be a Nepali 7000 meter peak. Pakistan doesn't count.

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2017/12 ... abilities/

I would think that Lenin Peak would be less expensive than Spantik, though it wouldn't count either if the new proposal were ever implemented.

Spantik is on my list though, so if you do attempt it, let me know. I may be interested in going.
Thanks for the corrections.

We will certainly let you know. We're headed to the blanca this summer and hope to test ourselves over 6000m. After that, we may look at a 7000m+ peak. Lenin looks nice, I like the quote that it is like "stealing candy from a baby." 8)
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

We will certainly let you know.
Sounds good.
We're headed to the blanca this summer and hope to test ourselves over 6000m.
The Blanca is spectacular. Have fun!
egiarratana
Trip Reports (0)

Post by egiarratana »

Hey all,
Thanks for all your fantastic recommendations and feedback. I trust people on this forum and value what you have to say about the hike. I did a trek in Nepal and definitely learned how far a tip can go for porters, etc. So I’m budgeting that heavily into my budget.
I’ll PM those of you who expressed interested in going and if there are any other takers, don’t be afraid to PM me as well!

Thanks again!