Popocatépetl eruption

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Popocatépetl eruption

Post by seano »

I'm incredibly jealous, Scott. And I can only imagine what it would have been like for Francisco Montano to climb it in 1521: http://www.dankat.com/mstory/volcano.htm
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

Apparently the volcanic activity hasn't stopped everyone (I guess if you're able to cross the glacier in ten minutes then you might be willing to accept a higher level of risk, right?): https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2015/01/ ... n-volcano/
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

jrs1965 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:27 am

I would love to climb Itza while Popo were erupting!
I climbed Ixta in 2000 (easy to remember because we were there reading the local newspapers trying to figure out if Bush or Gore won. Our spanish was decent, but not sure if we figured out what hanging chad meant :lol: ). Anyway, Popo was too active, so the road to the standard trailhead was closed. We ended up climbing from the opposite side of the mountain, via the derecha pecha route. Highly recommended, that was such an adventure, and we had the mountain to ourselves.
Squirrellysquirrel
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Squirrellysquirrel »

Hiked Pico de Orizaba and iztaccíhuatl in December 2018; local guides remarked that Popocatépetl was due to erupt any day now... somehow not surprised. No guide at that time would hike Popocatépetl due to noxious fumes. This is footage from 13 hours ago(?); yes, being atop iztaccíhuatl while this scene was going on would be very mind blowing !!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rjtbpmAUCC4
"The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." ~ Bruce Lee
Squirrellysquirrel
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Squirrellysquirrel »

"The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." ~ Bruce Lee