Honest Question Regarding Guides

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Honest Question Regarding Guides

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Maybe for a mountain like the Matterhorn in Switzerland it'd be good. Lots of fixed lines, definitely don't want to get off route, coordination with other climbing groups, support from the guides (medical or other), etc. Lots of reasons for a guide on a mountain like that.
Last edited by Wish I lived in CO on Mon May 27, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

At a bare minimum a fixer is necessary to access certain remote, high altitude peaks. I don't think I could account for learning 2 new languages in preparation for a peak.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

OrngChocD wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:29 am * Do I use TA(s)/TO(s) (travel agent/tour operator - guide) or do I learn to plan, book and execute all my travels on my own?
Travel agents still exist?
Make wilderness less accessible.
jladderud
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jladderud »

I'd add that it also comes down to resources/priorities. The skills for bigger mountain objectives can be use it or lose it. I live in the desert and don't make the time to find snow to practice roped glacier travel. Consequently, I was happy to hire a local guide for Orizaba--a peak that can easily be climbed unguided by those with the right skill set. For me the extra expense was well worth the time saved, and I had a blast on the trip. Just another approach.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Ptglhs wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm No peak is undoable without guides
By Tanzanian law, you must have a guide and at least two porters with you Mt. Kilimanjaro.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

stephakett wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:38 pm
By Tanzanian law, you must have a guide and at least two porters with you Mt. Kilimanjaro.
Did you read the last line of my post?
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Ptglhs wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:54 pm
I didn't read the last line of your post, I got confused by the first line of your post. English isn't my first language.

How about, "all peaks are doable without guides".
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

polar wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:04 pm
I didn't read the last line of your post, I got confused by the first line of your post. English isn't my first language.

not peaks are all doable with unguides?
Make wilderness less accessible.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Dave B wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:55 am

all guides are doable on peaks?
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

stephakett wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:04 am
Dave B wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:55 am

all guides are doable on peaks?
All guides are doable without peaks.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

When I started getting into more technical mountaineering from rock I hired a guide from Colorado Mountain School for a few days out, just the two of us. It was worth EVERY penny. I learned so much from him and got some cool climbs under my belt. It helped with confidence but also knowledge.
I have used guides on international trips as well.
I am fully in support of guides but you also dont want it to be a crutch. It's important to put your skills to work and find good partners. Your experiences will teach you something each time but the guide will help build the foundation.
CHWitte
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (13)

Post by CHWitte »

Mike Shepherd wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:59 pm A peak becomes "undoable" without guides when you or your team (or lack of team) don't possess the necessary skills to get to the top on your own.

As for starting to prepare now for the future, it would be useful to know what your goals are.
and back down... :-D
David R. Witte
CO 14er Finisher: July 2015