Ecuador or Bolivia in 2021?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Ecuador or Bolivia in 2021?

Post by timf »

Got the itch to plan another trip. With family vacation planned for 2020, 2021 being my 50th, I'm debating:

Ecuador for Cayambe, Cotopaxi, and Chimborazo. Never been, have heard good things, really reasonable airfare, but the weather always seems cloudy and overcast, and avalanche hazard seems more prevalent.

Or return to Bolivia, see more of the city while acclimating, enjoy what is seemingly the most stable weather of high Peak countries in the hemisphere and do Pequeno Alpamayo, Huayna Potosi, and Illimani all relatively close to La Paz. Airfare is much more painful.

Anyone interested in either for 2021?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Ecuador or Bolivia in 2021?

Post by Scott P »

I could do Ecuador, but likely not Bolivia (I can only go November through March which isn't good for those peaks in Bolivia). I have already done Cotopaxi and Chimborazo though.
Last edited by Scott P on Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Was somewhat debating both of those options myself but for this summer. Ive been to Bolivia before which was great and highly recommended and would rather go to Ecuador just because I have not been there yet although I know there are some pretty big time protests in Quito right now but I suspect this won't last too long. 2021 is far enough off I am sure you can find some quality partners to go by then.

My trip reports on Bolivia on Pequeno Alpamayo and Illimani if it helps.
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

kushrocks wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:13 pm Was somewhat debating both of those options myself but for this summer. Ive been to Bolivia before which was great and highly recommended and would rather go to Ecuador just because I have not been there yet although I know there are some pretty big time protests in Quito right now but I suspect this won't last too long. 2021 is far enough off I am sure you can find some quality partners to go by then.

My trip reports on Bolivia on Pequeno Alpamayo and Illimani if it helps.
I've read your reports and they were very informative and was what made me go with BMG as a guide service. Eduardo drive me everywhere while his brother Gregorio and one other were my guides. Short guy but legendary.