New World Record for all 14 8000 meter Peaks

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
thetoddman
Trip Reports (0)

Re: New World Record for all 14 8000 meter Peaks

Post by thetoddman »

XterraRob wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:30 pm
Scott P wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:18 am
nmjameswilson wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:35 am He beat the record by 7 YEARS and 4 months.
Nirmal Purja is indeed a good climber and his record is incredibly impressive. He has my congradulations and deserves to be honored.

I don't think it's a fair comparison to the previous records though (those set by Messner, Kukuczka, and Chang-ho).

It's still an impressive record, but a different kind of record.

With the exception of Annapurna, Kukuczka climbed all of the 8000ers either by new routes or first winter ascents and without support or supplimental O2.

Purja climbed the mountains (with the exception of K2) with someone else setting up all the fixed lines, camps, and supplies ahead of time, and didn't haul any of his own loads. He also flew from mountain to mountain landing in the base or high camps, rather than at the normal starting points for the peaks. Not only is that a lot faster, but he could choose his weather windows by doing so. He also had a huge supply of bottled O2.

So, his record is still a record and very impressive, but it's kind of an apples and oranges comparison when compared to previous records.

Although the 8000er record is much harder, a comparison could be made on the Colorado 14ers.

If someone had access to air support, drove nearly to the top of Evans and Pikes, and flew into places like Chicago Basin, Snowmass Lake, Capitol Lake, etc., but still summitted all of the peaks, would it still be the 14er record?

I guess it would be a 14er record, but a different type of record than Cavedog's or other's previous records.

PS, I'm not saying that Purja flew to any summits as close as you can drive to Pikes Peak or Evans or that the record isn't a record or that it isn't incredibly impressive. It is impressive and it is a record. I congradulate Purja.

It just seems like a different type of record than the previous ones. It's still really cool either way though.

I wonder if the record will lead to controversy? I hope not, especially since it will take away from the accomplishment, but it might. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the mountaineering community reacts. I'm just guessing that there are going to be arguements from both sides when discussing the record, or records in the future.
Oh man... here we go. :lol:
I sure hope he followed the 3,000 ft rule on the Lhotse/Everest climbs, otherwise... :roll:
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

There is no controversy, only armchair mountaineering by people who have zero high altitude experience.
Are you willing to bet that there won't be any controversy concerning the record among the mountaineering community (including from experienced 8000 meter climbers)?

I'm betting that there will be and I will take a bet against anyone who disagrees.

As for me, I have long said that it doesn't matter to me how anyone climbs a mountain or in what style and long as they leave the mountain clean and aren't a danger to others. Therefore, I support the style the Purja or anyone else chooses to climb with. People should be free to choose their own style of climbing as long as it doesn't mess up the mountain. As for me, climbers should just all give each other pats on the back and congratulations regardless of our different goals or styles. I congratulate Purja on his great achievements.

What I am saying is that the record is a different type of record than previous ones and I am predicting that there might be a controversy concerning the record. Time will tell, but I'm willing to bet that its coming.

Climbers such as Messner used to be super vocal about such things, but he has quieted down in recent years. I wouldn't call him an armchair mountaineer.

PS, do you really think that only 8000 meters qualifies as high altitude experience? If so, you are probably alone in this matter.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

Scott P wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:47 pm
There is no controversy, only armchair mountaineering by people who have zero high altitude experience.
Are you willing to bet that there won't be any controversy concerning the record among the mountaineering community (including from experienced 8000 meter climbers)?

I'm betting that there will be and I will take a bet against anyone who disagrees.

As for me, I have long said that it doesn't matter to me how anyone climbs a mountain or in what style and long as they leave the mountain clean and aren't a danger to others. Therefore, I support the style the Purja or anyone else chooses to climb with. People should be free to choose their own style of climbing as long as it doesn't mess up the mountain. As for me, climbers should just all give each other pats on the back and congratulations regardless of our different goals or styles. I congratulate Purja on his great achievements.

What I am saying is that the record is a different type of record than previous ones and I am predicting that there might be a controversy concerning the record. Time will tell, but I'm willing to bet that its coming.

Climbers such as Messner used to be super vocal about such things, but he has quieted down in recent years. I wouldn't call him an armchair mountaineer.

PS, do you really think that only 8000 meters qualifies as high altitude experience? If so, you are probably alone in this matter.
You're crazy dude, let me know when Messner says that Nims' should have done it in a different style
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Not only was Scott very civil and humble in his analysis/breakdown, but he provided an analogy all us 14er idiots could understand (ie the 14er speed record).

I appreciated his input, which did not demean the accomplishment, but only shed more insight into the effort. There is nothing wrong with explicitly saying what you did, or did not do, to reach a goal.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

You're crazy dude, let me know when Messner says that Nims' should have done it in a different style
Not crazy; I just know my mountaineering history.

As mentioned, Messner isn't as vocal as he used to be, so I don't know if he will say anything this time around. Mark my words though, at least some other mountaineers will say something negative about the style. I won't be one of them. I support climbers climbing in whatever style they choose too.

And Messner has already has said many times that climbers should climb in a different style. Apparently you haven't been paying attention. PS; I don't agree with Messner on this topic.

PS, I was just at Messner's house a few months ago, but I don't think I'd have the guts to ask him questions about this. :)
Last edited by Scott P on Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

nsaladin wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:07 pm And then there's this: https://explorersweb.com/2019/10/25/man ... ue-summit/
Most climbers on cho oyu, shishapangma do not reach the real summit either
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:15 pm
Scott P wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:47 pm

The issue isn't that he "should have done it in a different style.." The issue is HE DID IT in a different style. Flying from area to area...right. Having others setup ropes and camps and carry his loads..right. That is certainly a style but....not the style of Messner nor many many others that are legends.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
Cotopaxi20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cotopaxi20 »

I suppose now, that anything goes. Why have any standards at all? I guess I'll go to Everest with enough bottles for full flow from Lukla to the summit, in record time!, and return. So what.
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Something tells me Messner understands impressive when he sees it.

timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

where do you draw the line? not only was Nims able to fly to certain peaks, and have fixed lines available, etc. he also had the benefit of modern gear that is lighter and warmer and more durable and better quality than what Kukuczka or Messner or previous climbers used, he had more route beta, different weather, no Hillary Step, etc etc etc.

all records are, to some extent or another, "apples vs. oranges" because times change, gear changes, conditions change, and this is especially true in mountaineering where so many variables on any given climb are beyond human control. but even other sports have this problem. look at quarterback records for touchdowns and yards in the NFL, how do you compare modern QBs to ones from past eras when the game has changed so much and become so much more of a passing game? look at all the home run records in baseball, is it because the balls were juiced, or because some new undetectable PED is out there, or is it just because pitchers throw harder, hitters lift more weights, and guys are trying to hit home runs more than they did in the past? even something as simple as running has become controversial, thanks to Nike Vaporfly's and all the controversy over how the shoes are constructed and whether they should be banned from competition, in which case what happens to all those new running records set by people wearing those shoes?

i think it all goes to show that the focus on records in general is pretty silly. Nims did something amazing that very few people would ever be capable of that, and regardless of whether it's a record, or a new category of record, or just an impressive accomplishment, doesn't really matter. in 10 years someone will probably do it faster anyhow.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin