Hiking and Peaks in Puerto Vallarta

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dad Mike
14ers: 58  5  58 
13ers: 349 3 77
Trip Reports (59)

Hiking and Peaks in Puerto Vallarta

Post by Dad Mike »

Anyone have any suggestion on hikes in PV? I will be with the family, but have grandparent assistance, so looking for both family friendly and soul crushing. Would love to get to the top of a peak or 2 that have views of the ocean. Thanks...Mike
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Hiking and Peaks in Puerto Vallarta

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Plenty of hikes in El Yunque to peaks and waterfalls. Cueva Ventana is a nice hike too. A bit touristy but very cool.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
XPLSV
14ers: 28 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XPLSV »

Bug repellent, long sleeves, long pants...or you will be itching from the no-see-ums bites for weeks!
Bernie

It's an interglacial period...
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

I recommend the Palo Maria hike. It's not a peak with ocean views, but you follow the riverbed up to some natural pools and waterfalls. It's not far at all, maybe a mile in to get to the first one if I remember correctly. The first one is okay - scramble up past it and it gets really beautiful (and you can swim in them). We didn't have all the time in the world, so we only did the first 3. They are one after another though, from what I've heard, so go as far as you like!
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:58 pm Plenty of hikes in El Yunque to peaks and waterfalls. Cueva Ventana is a nice hike too. A bit touristy but very cool.
I am guessing you saw PV and read P.R.

I liked hiking in the El Yunque rainforest.

I still miss Judge Sharon Shuteran, District Court in Telluride, who came home dead from Mexico.

https://www.denverpost.com/2012/06/02/j ... ies-at-58/

Mexican authorities refused to release autopsy reports, then refused to release the body, then simply gave the family a box of ashes. Draw your own conclusions.

I agree with CaptianSuburbia. Go hike in the El Yunque Rain Forest
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Wentzl wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:58 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:58 pm Plenty of hikes in El Yunque to peaks and waterfalls. Cueva Ventana is a nice hike too. A bit touristy but very cool.

I still miss Judge Sharon Shuteran, District Court in Telluride, who came home dead from Mexico.

Mexican authorities refused to release autopsy reports, then refused to release the body, then simply gave the family a box of ashes. Draw your own conclusions.

Puerto Rico isn't really much different than Mexico when it comes to crime rates:

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-in ... rime/table
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Yeah, statistics don't lie.

I have been to both places several times. I will visit Puerto Rico again. Mexico, not any time soon. I could fill several pages about why.

But here is a fun true fact. When I encountered local law enforcement in El Yunque, he handed me a cup of wild strawberries he spent the morning gathering.

Guess what the cop in Mexico gave me?

Just one person's first hand experience.

Isn't that why we read these discussions?
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
CaptainSuburbia
Trip Reports (44)

Haha can't believe I read that wrong ](*,). I'm going to PR in a few days so I guess it was on my mind :-D.
Save Challenger Point
CaptainSuburbia
Trip Reports (44)

Haha can't believe I read that wrong ](*,). I'm going to PR in a few days so I guess it was on my mind :-D.
Save Challenger Point
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Wentzl wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:02 pmI have been to both places several times.
I have visited Puerto Rico three times and Mexico eight times. I would definitely visit Mexico again, but I have no desire to spend time in the border towns and I feel I'm getting climbed out there (though I need to do some climbs in the Baja).
Guess what the cop in Mexico gave me?
What?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.