Anybody done Mt Elbrus?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TheRealRooster
14ers: 6  2 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Anybody done Mt Elbrus?

Post by TheRealRooster »

Agree with all of the comments thus far. It gets cold. I had double plastics, was happy to have them, and weather turned us around long before we got near the top. If you're doing the North side, you can use hiking boots and some spikes (probably not necessary that time of year) to go from the base camp area in the meadows to camp at 12,200'ish. Saves some potential wear and tear on your feet from hiking in double plastics, plus it can be very, very warm down that low. I personally wouldn't go back with anything less warm for the higher climbing than Baruntses, or equivalent. No way I'd take Nepals, for example

Beautiful place. Russia was cool. Spend some time in St. Petersburg if you can while you're there... amazing city.

Edit: Forgot to mention, another option may be to rent from Whittaker Mountaineering. They're associated with RMI Guides and do rentals for their international programs. Assuming you're not going with RMI, I have to imagine business is slow and if you called them, they might work something out to deploy some rental gear. You ship it back and forth, so you don't have to be near Seattle to rent from them. Possibly a nice compromise between cost effectiveness and ensuring you're getting appropriate gear.

https://www.whittakermountaineering.com ... ernational
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Klad24 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:26 am Don't mean to steer the conversation away from boots, but I'm curious what your plan is as far as getting into Russia (assuming you don't have Russian citizenship). I was briefly considering doing Elbrus this summer as well but from what I can tell it seems like it can be a real hassle just to get into the country right now.
Hoping it opens back up before our trip. Putin seems determined, so i think theres a good chance
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Trotter
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Scott P wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:05 am PS Trotter, what size sho do you wear?
12 usually. Let me know if yall see a smoking deal on boots
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Trotter
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Thanks all for the replies. Im hoping they have good rentals at elbrus base, if nothing else so I dont have to haul them all over europe, as we are playing tourist on way there and back. Does anybody remember how many gear rental places that are there? Im hoping to check out multiple stores, and find one with decent quality to rent.

Having never worn plastic doubles before, are they really that awful? I like the idea of sleeping with the liners. But it sounds like doubles are heavy. Is that the main drawback?

Plus the guide service we using charges like 7 bucks a day to rent them. I looked at renting a good pair here in the states, and its very expensive plus i still have to haul them all over.
Roald
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Roald »

What guide service are you using? Pilgrim had some gear rental stuff at the lodge that some in our group used for jackets/axes and I remember there being one ok rental shop in Terksol village that a guy used for boots.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

[quote=Trotter post_id=710994 time=1591394560 user_id=35401
Having never worn plastic doubles before, are they really that awful? I like the idea of sleeping with the liners. But it sounds like doubles are heavy. Is that the main drawback?
[/quote]

Heavy and quite clunky on dry ground. Once you get on the snow it's less difference in walkability.

I did Rainier my first time in rented Invernos, and the descent especially was pretty uncomfortable on the trail to paradise.
Only worn them one other time. Was ice climbing in new Hampshire and my Nepals were not cutting it (-10F) so I rented for the next day.
I remembered how I didn't like them that much to walk out climb in, but my toes loved it.

That all said, if I was going to Elbrus my personal choice would be to use a double boot for the insurance in case of weather or mishap.

They're not THAT bad. And it's not like long dry approaches are pleasant in any warm technical boot.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Trotter wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:56 pm
Scott P wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:05 am PS Trotter, what size sho do you wear?
12 usually. Let me know if yall see a smoking deal on boots
I have a pair of size 12 Asolo AFS plastic boots, never worn if you are interested. I bought them for my brother, but he doesn't stay in contact with the family and I haven't seen him in a few years. I have been saving them, but don't think he does outdoor stuff anymore.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
7Below
14ers: 40  4 
13ers: 33 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 7Below »

CaptCO wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:14 pm Hijacking thread sort of.. if anyone wants a like new pair of Phantom 8000M I’ll sell them for dirt dirt cheap hmu (sz 42) hell I’ll even let someone borrow them I hate those f’n things
What don't you like about the Phantom 8000s?
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

I know this is a little off topic but we did a carryover from South to North and it was amazing! The two sides of the mountain could not be more different. I would highly recommend it. More involved from a logistics standpoint but worth it.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
R3Girls
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by R3Girls »

Did Elbrus In 2018 in G2s. As mentioned, they may have been a bit overkill, but I never worried about my feet or crampons the entire time.

Best of luck!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Trotter wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:55 pm
Klad24 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:26 am Don't mean to steer the conversation away from boots, but I'm curious what your plan is as far as getting into Russia (assuming you don't have Russian citizenship). I was briefly considering doing Elbrus this summer as well but from what I can tell it seems like it can be a real hassle just to get into the country right now.
Hoping it opens back up before our trip. Putin seems determined, so i think theres a good chance
Dang, I was hoping for travel in the Canadian Rockies this summer and theIr quarantine is at least until July 21. Canadian government travel website:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/co ... s-eng.html

The worsening stats around the US is making us pariahs most everywhere outside the US.