Looking for partners for Ecuador volcanoes - late 2020/early 2021

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sandiego-hiker
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Looking for partners for Ecuador volcanoes - late 2020/early 2021

Post by sandiego-hiker »

I am looking for hikers that might be interested in going on a 12 day - 6 peaks trip in Ecuador in late December 2021/ early January 2022 (it should be Covid-safe by then) - not advertising but here's the specific one: https://adventureswithinreach.com/desti ... Chimborazo. The price is a lot higher solo (no surprise there) - and it's more fun with others. I've done Kilimanjaro with this company before (based in Colorado).

This is extreme elevation - the highest peak (Chimborazo) is 6310 m / 20,564 ft so has the usual high altitude and cold risks.

My dates are somewhat flexible. Since I normally live near sea level (San Diego), I would probably also plan to arrive in Ecuador several days / week early to get some more acclimatization time at high altitude.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Looking for partners for Ecuador volcanoes - late 2020/early 2021

Post by ltlFish99 »

I might be interested.
I was in Ecuador in 1991and really enjoyed it.
I got a new passport a while back wanting to return to south America. Then came covid, so now I am just waiting for travel to become easier and more enjoyable.
It really is a wonderful place.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Are you committed to going through the Colorado travel agency? I went with friends back in 2013. We found a quality guide service in downtown Quito that shuttled us out to the Whymper refuge direct from Quito. And we used public transport to get to Cotopaxi Nat'l Park for acclimating before Chimbo.

The trip was pretty cheap and it was kind of enjoyable figuring everything out on the fly.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
sandiego-hiker
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sandiego-hiker »

Thanks for the ideas. I'm generally inclined when visiting a new country for the first time to go with an established stateside partner, despite the additional cost. They can be invaluable in clearing up problems / conflicts with local guides - I had that experience with a Kilimanjaro trek when it seemed the local guide was trying to load up the trek with extra porters at additional cost. Similarly, for a first visit, I prefer to have most of the travel planned out - with some built-in flexibility. Then, on subsequent visits I'm more inclined to do things 'on the fly' after I know it a little better. Right now, also my Spanish is minimal.