Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Post by cedica »

timisimaginary wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:07 am Tour de France... in Europe they say tour de 'frahss', in Blue State America they say tour de 'frants', and in Red State America they say tour de 'freedom bikes'
Only Bob Roll pronounces it correctly, "France" should rhyme with "pants".
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

shelly+ wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:35 am since 30% of the English language derives from French, i think maybe we're all locals screwing up the language. and anyway, the French like to have their week-end.
Good point.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

shays_days wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:39 am Lol I don’t even pronounce my own name with the “foreign” pronunciation...(it’s obviously not Shay) let alone other words from other languages.
Neither do I. I know how to pronounce my own last name as a German would but it got Americanized in my family long before I existed. It should be Fröhlich with the umlaut. Or Froehlich. I guess it depended on which immigration official wrote it down.

When I visited Munich and someone actually used my last name with proper pronunciation it was weird.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:19 pm
shays_days wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:39 am Lol I don’t even pronounce my own name with the “foreign” pronunciation...(it’s obviously not Shay) let alone other words from other languages.
Neither do I. I know how to pronounce my own last name as a German would but it got Americanized in my family long before I existed. It should be Fröhlich with the umlaut. Or Froehlich. I guess it depended on which immigration official wrote it down.

When I visited Munich and someone actually used my last name with proper pronunciation it was weird.
But what is the MEANING of Frohlich? Blue Footed Booby??
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

You mean München?
lol
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

I don’t even try to pretend with couloir and glissade - Koo Lahr and Glis Aide all the way.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
martintravis
14ers: 23 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by martintravis »

speth wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:41 am I don’t even try to pretend with couloir and glissade - Koo Lahr and Glis Aide all the way.
"Koo-Lahr" kind of bothers me. I just pronounce it the same way you'd say the second syllable of "memoir".
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

pvnisher wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:25 pm
You mean München?
lol
Touche.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

just came across one that is brilliantly silly.

Murican: glay shur
Brit: glah see er

just French enough to be proper and just Brit enough to middle finger the French.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

shelly+ wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:15 pm just came across one that is brilliantly silly.

Murican: glay shur
Brit: glah see er

just French enough to be proper and just Brit enough to middle finger the French.
Cracking up here!
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I try to avoid sounding elite, ignorant, or silly. So I just go with:

glissade = butt sled, ski, or slide depending on intent
couloir = gully
crevasse = crack or crevice
cairn = pile o rocks

When in doubt I'll go with "That ____ looking thingy." Works every time.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

mtree wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:46 pm I try to avoid sounding elite, ignorant, or silly. So I just go with:

glissade = butt sled, ski, or slide depending on intent
couloir = gully
crevasse = crack or crevice
cairn = pile o rocks

When in doubt I'll go with "That ____ looking thingy." Works every time.
I hate lol, but lol!! You win! I’m on board with these definitions.