Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Post by pvnisher »

How do you go about pronouncing foreign words?

Do you go for the native/local way, ie, the way the people who live there pronounce it?
Or do you go for the 'Merican pronunciation?

I'm all for accuracy, and will refer to a name by it's proper pronunciation when in that country (Munich vs Muenchen, Ibiza vs Ibitha, Japan vs Nihon, etc). Especially if I'm using that language. It would be insane to say "Japan" in Japanese, for instance, since that means "well, bread!"

But I also hate sounding like a douche in America if I use the "proper" pronunciation.
So why is it douchey to use the proper word? I don't know. It sure seems that way, though.

So do you just americanize the words or try to do it right, or vary your approach on where you are and who you're with?
shays_days
14ers: 13  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Post by shays_days »

Lol I don’t even pronounce my own name with the “foreign” pronunciation...(it’s obviously not Shay) let alone other words from other languages.

But I think it’s situational and depends on who you’re with
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Does anyone really know what a Merican is anymore these days?? I’m losing track, that’s for sure.
pizza-sandwich
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pizza-sandwich »

i’m from kansas so i pronounce words with my dialect.

but really, think about it this way: would you expect someone from nicaragua or tokyo or kyrgyzstan to pronounce US cities and states and names with a perfect US accent? of course not, they’ll use an accent colored by their language. so why expect yourself to have that burden?

everyone’s dialect and accent is their own and will pronounce words the way their mouth works. i don’t see a reason to go out of your way to identically match native pronunciations unless you’re fluently communicating in that language.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

Have you ever heard a Brit say Los Angeles?

Now if we could just pronounce couloir and glissade properly!
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

shelly+ wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:11 am Have you ever heard a Brit say Los Angeles?

Koowar is one I believe. But how is glissade different from glissade?? Glissahd??
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

greenonion wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:40 am
shelly+ wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:11 am Have you ever heard a Brit say Los Angeles?

Koowar is one I believe. But how is glissade different from glissade?? Glissahd??

couloir needs an L
kooL wahr (soft R)

The i in French is pronounced ee (without the Y sound at the end) and never has the sound of the English i like in "give".
glee sahd

lol whatever.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

shelly+ wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:02 pm
greenonion wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:40 am

couloir needs an L
kooL wahr (soft R)

The i in French is pronounced ee (without the Y sound at the end) and never has the sound of the English i like in "give".
glee sahd

lol whatever.
Glee and Sahd both in the same word. How French!
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

My take has always been the more euro I can sound the better, the euros are sick
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

Good rule of thumb for place names might be sticking to the language you are using at the time. But i don't care much.

Unless you are talking in English and pronounce "Paris" like "Paree". Then i WILL through up.
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Carl_Healy »

From the title I thought this was going to be a thread about how to pronounce "Buena Vista" or "Montrose"...
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:26 pm My take has always been the more euro I can sound the better, the euros are sick
Luv them all...