Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Post by disentangled »

greenonion wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:52 am But how does one pronounce lol in French, English, and Merican?
recklessly. lol
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

greenonion wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:52 am But how does one pronounce lol in French, English, and Merican?
more importantly, how does one pronounce GIF in any language?
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

timisimaginary wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:52 pm more importantly, how does one pronounce GIF in any language?
Hard G.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

timisimaginary wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:52 pm
more importantly, how does one pronounce GIF in any language?
I now know that it’s “GEEF” in French!
Burkart
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Burkart »

Oh man, immediately brought to mind those annoying NPR-isms where every reporter tries to outdo the others with the most unnatural, overwrought pronunciation of every remotely Spanish word. You never hear them do that for German or Russian words... maybe occasionally for French (fun fact, there isn't one iota of evidence that "homage," when it was adopted into English from Norman French in the 11th century, was unaspirated; that is to say, the word was probably NEVER pronounced oh-majjjjjj until some revisionist snoot decided to give it a go - here's looking at you (again), NPR).

I personally follow three rules to avoid being a linguistic douche (though I may be guilty as charged in other fields):

1. If there is a widely accepted or historical pronunciation of a foreign word in your language (an exonym), just use it. No need for Farsi when you have Persian. What's the point in saying HEET-lah when you can say Hitler? Why visit MEH-heeco when you can visit Mexico? Keep in mind that you are pronouncing every Greek and Latin word adopted into the English language like a ten year old who has never heard the word as it was originally pronounced

2. If you are using an uncommon foreign word in your language, do NOT try to pronounce it with a sound or pattern that doesn't exist in your language unless absolutely necessary. Eisenach can be pronounced Eye-zin-ock. It breaks the flow of speech when you contort your mouth to accommodate every weird sound they make on the other side of the world - if you go out of your way to do that, you are basically bragging about your ability to (sort of) make sounds that every uneducated rube on the other side of the world can make . That makes you cultured, I guess?

3. If the locals pronounce a word in a way that you are capable of pronouncing without breaking Rule 2, follow their lead. It's Byoonie, damn it, not Boo-AY-na Vista. Some huckster from Ohio probably picked the words out of a Spanish-English dictionary to help sell rail-front plots of land. Chief You-RAY would laugh at you if you called him OO-ray, or his YOOT tribe the OOT. I'm sorry, guys, Regina really does rhyme with vagina.

sanjuanmtneer wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:29 pm Colorado was Spanish territory much longer than it has been U.S.
The first sanctioned Spanish expedition to unambiguously cross into Colorado was in 1694. Spanish "rule," if that's what you want to call the occasional excursion into the area to punish raiding tribes or drive out French traders, formally lasted until 1821. In 1803, the United States purchased its first chunk of Colorado (adjusted to everything northeast of the Arkansas River in 1819); Zebulon Pike made the US presence tangible when he entered the state in 1806 and built a stockade on the Rio Grande in 1807. 1821 - 1694 = 127 < 218 = 2021 - 1803. This is 'Merica now, we'll call it Rio Grand down south and Grand Tit up north if we damn well please. We were even nice enough to give the Spaniards their Spanish Peaks, even though the Ute name, Wahatoya, is a more accurate name by every measure.
Burkart
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Burkart »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:46 pm I’ll take yikes for $500
Fine by me, Cap. I'll be just fine without a climbing partner who needs SAR to save him whenever he gets off trail. :lol:
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Burkart wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:59 pm
CaptCO wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:46 pm I’ll take yikes for $500
Fine by me, Cap. I'll be just fine without a climbing partner who needs SAR to save him whenever he gets off trail. :lol:
Is this what you meant by "being a douche in other fields"?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Burkart wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:39 pm Oh man, immediately brought to mind those annoying NPR-isms where every reporter tries to outdo the others with the most unnatural, overwrought pronunciation of every remotely Spanish word.
You mean their names? That's the only time I hear reporters pronounce properly.
Burkart wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:39 pm 3. If the locals pronounce a word in a way that you are capable of pronouncing without breaking Rule 2, follow their lead. It's Byoonie, damn it, not Boo-AY-na Vista.
The locals are pronouncing the word with ignorance to its Spanish origin (or with complete awareness and condescension). It's a typical American thing to do, including the town of Versailles, Missouri (locals literally say Ver-Sales). While it's ok to claim that the locals are "right," the correct pronunciation is it's French origin.

And it's Bwena Veesta, not Byoona Vista.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

Barnold41 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:25 am The locals are pronouncing the word with ignorance to its Spanish origin (or with complete awareness and condescension). It's a typical American thing to do, including the town of Versailles, Missouri (locals literally say Ver-Sales). While it's ok to claim that the locals are "right," the correct pronunciation is it's French origin.
since 30% of the English language derives from French, i think maybe we're all locals screwing up the language. and anyway, the French like to have their week-end.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Burkart wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:39 pm 3. If the locals pronounce a word in a way that you are capable of pronouncing without breaking Rule 2, follow their lead.
So it's Led Tsepelin (after Ferdinand von Zeppelin), stop pronouncing it Zepelin mis amigos por favor.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Tour de France... in Europe they say tour de 'frahss', in Blue State America they say tour de 'frants', and in Red State America they say tour de 'freedom bikes'
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
rmattas
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rmattas »

in chicago, it's pronounced "sassage"
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Isaac Newton