Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Post by disentangled »

greenonion wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:06 pm
mtree wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:46 pm I try to avoid sounding elite, ignorant, or silly. So I just go with:

glissade = butt sled, ski, or slide depending on intent
couloir = gully
crevasse = crack or crevice
cairn = pile o rocks

When in doubt I'll go with "That ____ looking thingy." Works every time.
I hate lol, but lol!! You win! I’m on board with these definitions.
ehl oh ehl lol
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out that "Colorado" is a Spanish word that nobody pronounces in the Spanish way. Even those who gripe about Byoona Vista seem to have no problem with Kah lah ra doe.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Jim Davies wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:16 pm I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out that "Colorado" is a Spanish word that nobody pronounces in the Spanish way. Even those who gripe about Byoona Vista seem to have no problem with Kah lah ra doe.
Not sure I'm listening to what you are but to my ear the Spanish way and our way to pronounce Colorado don't sound all that different. Slightly but not a huge amount.

Byoona Vista is just awful and....no.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

What about the pronunciation of Salida? :-s
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

instead of 'glissade', just say 'I Salida down the mountain'
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

Posted in error.
Last edited by Ed_Groves on Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

RETEP 1 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:20 pm
DaveLanders wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:59 pm
sanjuanmtneer wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:29 pm It cracks me up when people say Rio Grand (not Grand'ae') because they're mixing two languages, Spanish and English in the name of a geographical feature.
Wouldn't it be either Grand River or Rio Grande?
Would it make sense to say Grande River? Also a mixture of two languages?
When you order a big taco is it a Taco Grand or a Taco Grande?

Colorado was Spanish territory much longer than it has been U.S.
Then there's the people who talk about the Rio Grande River
I grew up in Northern New Mexico. This is just a suggestion. From my experience, at least in New Mexico, don’t correct the natives on how they pronounce things and if they correct you, just go ahead and oblige.
I agree. I follow the general idea of trying to pronounce words correctly, while deferring to the locals who have pronounced their location names a particular way for many years.

On another note, why do some consider it "elitist" or "being a douche" to strive to pronounce words correctly? If one is arrogant about his or her ability to use correct pronunciation that may warrant the term, "elitist." On the other hand, aren't those who judge others for using correct pronunciation acting much like those arrogant enunciaters?
Last edited by Ed_Groves on Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Ed_Groves wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:06 am
On another note, why do some consider it "elitist" or "being a douche" to strive to pronounce words correctly? If one is arrogant about his or her ability to use correct pronunciation that may warrant the term, "elitist." On the other hand, aren't those who judge others for using correct pronunciation acting much like those arrogant enunciators?
Simple. It makes you sound like an elitist or douche regardless of intent. Some things are best left alone. Its a lose-lose situation... unless you happen to be hiking in the French Alps with a bunch of grimpeurs. Then you'll just sound silly. But that's ok, because they'll probably laugh at you and if you make someone laugh that's a good thing.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

I am now craving a greek salida with chicken for lunch
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

CaptCO wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:31 am When you gon’ let me salida into them DMs
=D>

Bet more than half the people on this site have no clue what that is :lol: