BE CAREFUL GOING TO ECUADOR RIGHT NOW

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Re: BE CAREFUL GOING TO ECUADOR RIGHT NOW

Post by gb »

"If you don't go now, you'll be one year older when you do" -Warren Miller. That was our mindset when we put a deposit down on a dream trip for May '22. At this point all we can do is hope that there isn't another new variant. Might have been a mistake but I also don't see things changing anytime soon.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

gb wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:00 am "If you don't go now, you'll be one year older when you do" -Warren Miller. That was our mindset when we put a deposit down on a dream trip for May '22. At this point all we can do is hope that there isn't another new variant. Might have been a mistake but I also don't see things changing anytime soon.
I think you're right. I think in 3-5 years things won't be much different at all. I thought in 2020 that by the summer of 2021 this would all be behind us, I was so sure of it I had a trip to Europe booked. Boy was I mistaken. Two years in and we have therapeutics, vaccines, boosters, etc and none of it mattered. In Denver we are right back to square 1, mask up! If the therapeutics and vaccines weren't enough to move on from Covid, that's how you know it will go on forever. Or at least the foreseeable future. Variant FUD and masked toddlers for the years to come.
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

Are you all enjoying your stay in clown world yet?

Is it still too early to stop and think about if any of this is effective or even makes sense? Airplanes are the most well ventilated indoor spaces on the planet, to the point that not one super spreader event had been linked to a plane. COVID is already in every country on the planet, so what is border control even going to achieve? And we have still yet to acknowledge that natural immunity is damn near bulletproof and ought to negate the above points entirely.

But more importantly, have any of you that are determined to fight COVID at any cost actually stopped to consider what those costs are? Maybe it'll take less than the 20 years we wasted before finally giving up on the war on terror, but somehow I doubt it.

The military industrial complex has nothing on the propoganda that big pharma can spit out.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

crossfitter wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:37 am Maybe it'll take less than the 20 years we wasted before finally giving up on the war on terror, but somehow I doubt it.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Señor, esto es un Wendy’s.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

crossfitter wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:37 am The military industrial complex has nothing on the propoganda that big pharma can spit out.
The masses are ready to stand behind this new cause of yours, because those Shkrelis with their strategy for limiting people's access to medications and Wu-Tang Clan albums are universally despised.

But are you ready to testify, are you really ready to walk that line?
three.gif
three.gif (1000.54 KiB) Viewed 5238 times
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Looks like we got things taken care of and are getting tested on December 23.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

cedica wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:31 pm
crossfitter wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:37 am The military industrial complex has nothing on the propoganda that big pharma can spit out.
The masses are ready to stand behind this new cause of yours, because those Shkrelis with their strategy for limiting people's access to medications and Wu-Tang Clan albums are universally despised.

But are you ready to testify, are you really ready to walk that line?
three.gif
No. They just bitch about the “horror” of the restrictions to their…”liberty”.

To be d-bags.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Sounds like these fine folks had no issues with Ecuador!

www.sfchronicle.com/travel/amp/Volcano- ... 704758.php
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

crossfitter wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:37 am Is it still too early to stop and think about if any of this is effective or even makes sense?
Love him or hate him, but Alec Baldwin has killed more people than omicron.
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

highpilgrim wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:37 pm
No. They just bitch about the “horror” of the restrictions to their…”liberty”.

To be d-bags.
Actually yes, muh rights do matter. In fact, they are so important that wars have been fought over them and people chose risking death over living on their knees.

The only reason this country exists is because we have all mutually agreed to give a Monopoly on violence to an entity that's sole purpose is to protect those rights. If rights don't matter, then there is no purpose in having a country anymore, and as far as I am concerned the social contract becomes null and void.

There's plenty of authoritarian shitholes in the world that would be happy to own you, how about we preserve the few countries that actually value individual rights?
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Scott P wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:13 pm Looks like we got things taken care of and are getting tested on December 23.
Nice!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs