BE CAREFUL GOING TO ECUADOR RIGHT NOW

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: DO NOT GO TO ECUADOR RIGHT NOW

Post by susanjoypaul »

dubsho3000 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:42 am Thanks for the update Richard. Scott alarmed me on the purple snowflake hike a couple weeks ago but I've found nothing that requires a 10 day quarantine. Negative PCR test and vaccination card are required. I think Scott is having more trouble because he is coming over the land border with Colombia. Flying direct from the US appears to be less problematic. Hoping the requirements don't change in the next 4 weeks.
That makes sense. I have a trip to Barcelona coming up with a layover in London, and have been told I'll be fine crossing borders with just the COVID card (and a negative test before I leave the States) AS LONG AS I DON'T LEAVE THE AIRPORT IN LONDON before getting back on the plane. The rules are changing frequently, so good to check in on all the details ahead of time.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

International travel just seems like a terrible idea at the present time...

It's rapidly getting to the same point with domestic travel.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

desertdog wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:42 am Did you get a negative PCR test?
Yes, but they won't accept it. We may have found a place to get it December 23.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

SkaredShtles wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:09 am International travel just seems like a terrible idea at the present time...

Agreed. We booked our tickets 10 months ago thinking COVID wouldn't be a big problem be by now.

The tickets were originally to Guadeloupe. Then we had to change them because of restrictions. Colombia/Ecuador was one place we could change the to. The airline are allowing one time changes, but they don't give refunds. If I would have though the COVID would still be this big of an issue I definitely wouldn't not have booked. Shame on me I guess.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

dubsho3000 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:42 am Negative PCR test and vaccination card are required. I think Scott is having more trouble because he is coming over the land border with Colombia.
The original plan was a land crossing, but we changed that to plane tickets because the land border closed. They opened it back again.

Anyway our negative PCR test fron Grand Junction Colorado was not accepted.

Personally, I'd definitely hold off on going to Ecuador or perhaps all other international travel as well.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Scott P wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:11 pm
dubsho3000 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:42 am Negative PCR test and vaccination card are required. I think Scott is having more trouble because he is coming over the land border with Colombia.
The original plan was a land crossing, but we changed that to plane tickets because the land border closed. They opened it back again.

Personally, I'd definitely hold off on going to Ecuador or perhaps all other international travel as well.
Haven't you been in Columbia for a while? I would guess the PCR needs to be done within a certain amount of time before arrival at the new location (72 hours or something).

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

speth wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:52 pm
Scott P wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:11 pm

Haven't you been in Columbia for a while? I would guess the PCR needs to be done within a certain amount of time before arrival at the new location (72 hours or something).
Yes, the test needs to be done within 72 hours of arrival into the country. That's fairly standard. Maybe Scott missed that, since he got the test in Colorado and is now in Columbia? That would explain the problem.
Last edited by desertdog on Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

SkaredShtles wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:09 am International travel just seems like a terrible idea at the present time...
International travel has ALWAYS been a terrible idea, except to Kazakhstan.
Kazakhstan is the greatest country in the world. All other countries are run by
little girls. Kazakhstan, number one exporter of Potassium. All other countries
have inferior potassium.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

12ersRule wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:15 pm
International travel has ALWAYS been a terrible idea, except to Kazakhstan.
Kazakhstan is the greatest country in the world. All other countries are run by
little girls. Kazakhstan, number one exporter of Potassium. All other countries
have inferior potassium.
a6e48a02-889d-11e8-8608-b7163509a377_1280x720_113228.jpg
a6e48a02-889d-11e8-8608-b7163509a377_1280x720_113228.jpg (32.63 KiB) Viewed 3459 times
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

speth wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:52 pmHaven't you been in Columbia for a while? I would guess the PCR needs to be done within a certain amount of time before arrival at the new location (72 hours or something).
Yes you need one within 72 hours and the Grand Junction yes is currently expired. However, we showed them our Grand Junction tests as example trying to figure out what documentation is needed and it's not what they want. To tell you the truth, (my Spanish is pretty basic) I'm not even 100% sure what they want for getting into Ecuador. They won't accept the Covid test given at the Bogota airport either. I made an appointment and the airline told me that wouldn't be acceptable.

Anyway, we did find someone that's going to help us through the process.

I also called American Airlines to see if I can change my ticket if I can't get to Ecuador by plane. They said they knew exactly what I was talking about and said it's the blind leading the blind out there. Apparently the governments, customs, and airlines are all confused as to what documentation is acceptable. American Airlines itself have been getting a lot of calls about it; it's not just me.

Maybe flying directly from the USA won't pose as many problems; I can't say. American Airlines or customs didn't give me any problems getting to Colombia. Trying to get my documentation for Ecuador is the problem.

We were told that we can get an appointment for a clinic in Pareira that the airline will accept so we're crossing our fingers on that.

Also, as an FYI, a lot of restaurants and museums in Colombia at least won't allow entry without a vax card. There are also police that will tell people to put their masks on when walking outside (at least in the cities). This isn't a complaint and we are complying and plan to comply. It's just an FYI to other travelers. Even a lot of fast food restaurants won't let you order without a vax card so always have it with you. On day 1 we didn't know this and ended up leaving it in the hotel and had to go back and get it.

I agree with those who said it isn't a good time for travel right now. I kind of wish we just stayed home, but I guess I was too cheap just lose the money on my plane tickets.

Normally I fly for free (reward miles), but this time I bought tickets on American since United Airlines no longer flies to Guadaloupe and that's where our plan was to go in the first place. (Our original tickets were first class too; we had to change them for coach). It It was my daughter's graduation present.

If you do travel, I'd recommend just going to one country and not try to go to more than one outside the US.
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: BE CAREFUL GOING TO ECUADOR RIGHT NOW

Post by Candace66 »

Anyone booking overseas travel these days is taking a big risk. Look how quickly this new variant (Omicron) has spread around the world.

I don't plan to attempt any overseas travel until SARS-COV2/Covid-19 is no longer newsworthy. I can afford a YOLO trip; I can't afford to waste money on cancelled flights or other bookings, no-notice return-home flights, unexpected quarantines coming and/or going, etc. etc. :o
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

This. Two trips for me were ruined, luckily I was able to get my money back. Trying to travel international is a mess right now, and seems not worth it.