BE CAREFUL GOING TO ECUADOR RIGHT NOW

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

BE CAREFUL GOING TO ECUADOR RIGHT NOW

Post by Scott P »

The best advice is to not go. We are in Colombia right now and it sounds like Ecuador isn't going to let us in unless we quarantine for 10 days in an expensive hotel AND have a negative COVID test. We are fully vaccinated and have the cards.

If we don't go we have to buy another one way ticket to the USA ($2400 for the three of us) since our return flight is out of Quito. If we do go, it's a 10 day quarantine. What a mess.

The best advice I have is to not travel to Ecuador right now.
Last edited by Scott P on Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Re: DO NOT GO TO ECUADOR RIGHT NOW

Post by seano »

That's rough -- good luck!

This supports my impression that international travel, particularly to Latin America and the developing world, remains dicey as long as COVID is a significant threat. I personally wouldn't go down there without plans to deal with closed borders, canceled flights, lockdowns, within-country travel restrictions, and quarantines. And sadly, the vaccines people are most likely to have down there don't stop the latest variant, so things will remain uncertain until that runs its course. Just be thankful you live in the western US, with no travel restrictions and plenty of variety in terrain and climate.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

That’s too bad you are having a rough time. Not my experience at all, but that was a month ago and the Covid situation has changed. I have friends that arrived in Quito from the US with no problems on December 12th and are still there climbing. Probably best to stay close to home these days until things settle down.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

We are headed to Colombia for a couple weeks and then Ecuador after that. Keep any updates on your experience rolling in.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

That sounds like a nightmare. I hope the $$ is not too big a blow and you can get out of there rather than endure the 10 days. What does an "expensive" hotel in Ecuador cost anyway, more or less than the new airline tix?

For others considering travel to Latin America, I was in Roatan, Honduras last week and it was a breeze. As of last week you get in with proof of vaccination and no need to show a test. Getting back into America was more difficult.

"Let's Go Brandon"
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
desertdog
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Scott I checked with my contacts in the tourist department, and here is what they said about entry…

“Hi Richard

It is good to hear from you!! we are all well thank you

Now you need vaccination card as well as a negative PCR test

Here it is the link of the COVID 19 requirements for travelers arriving into the country

https://www.aeropuertoquito.aero/en/cov ... tocol.html

No quarantine is needed at all”

I am trying to help. Note that you now need both a negative PCR and vaccine to get in. Like I said I have friend that got in a week ago and they had the negative test and vaccine. When I went all you needed a vaccine. Obviously you are on the ground and it’s a changing situation. So this information could be not up to date. Did you get a negative PCR test? If not and you get one it sounds like you could avoid quarantine. Good luck.
Last edited by desertdog on Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

Wentzl wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:47 am That sounds like a nightmare. I hope the $$ is not too big a blow and you can get out of there rather than endure the 10 days. What does an "expensive" hotel in Ecuador cost anyway, more or less than the new airline tix?

For others considering travel to Latin America, I was in Roatan, Honduras last week and it was a breeze. As of last week you get in with proof of vaccination and no need to show a test. Getting back into America was more difficult.

"Let's Go Brandon"
Well if you don't like it in America, you can stay in Honduras. :-D

Who did you dive with on Roatan btw?
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Even Europe changes week to week. At least four countries have quarantines/lockdowns. Most require vaccination proof, recent test and itinerary registration.
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

Thank you for the updates Scott! Please keep them coming. Hope you can get in without the 10 day quarantine after all.
The United Airlines web site has not yet updated the travel requirements to Ecuador, and still indicates that vaccination status and negative Covid test is sufficient (together with filling out a health form).
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

Thanks for the update Richard. Scott alarmed me on the purple snowflake hike a couple weeks ago but I've found nothing that requires a 10 day quarantine. Negative PCR test and vaccination card are required. I think Scott is having more trouble because he is coming over the land border with Colombia. Flying direct from the US appears to be less problematic. Hoping the requirements don't change in the next 4 weeks.
Last edited by dubsho3000 on Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
desertdog
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

dubsho3000 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:42 am Thanks for the update Richard. Scott alarmed me on the purple snowflake hike a couple weeks ago but I've found nothing that requires a 10 day quarantine. Negative PCR test and vaccination card are required. I think Scott is having more trouble because he is coming over the land border with Columbia. Flying direct from the US appears to be less problematic. Hoping the requirements don't change in the next 4 weeks.
No worries. Yes, maybe its a problem on the land crossing. My friends in the country are saying with a PCR and vaccination you can get in without quarantine. I also have friends from the US there right now that got there flying from Miami. Things are changing quick everywhere, so it goes without saying I'd check right before you leave, Hope it works out for you!
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Thanks Richard! We will be flying from Colombia but will for sure be checking on the regular. Really appreciate the updates.