Epic Backpacker Tours/K2 base camp Trek experience?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Epic Backpacker Tours/K2 base camp Trek experience?

Post by CoHi591 »

Hey everyone,
I am thinking about trying to do a guided tour to K2 base camp and surrounding area. In the early stages of planning, have never traveled outside the US at all and don't usually do guided tours but this is way outside my comfort zone of planning a solo trip. I was wondering if anyone had either 1) experience with the outfitter Epic Backpacker Tours, on any of their treks or 2) experience with any other guides that you really liked that get up in the area. I want to see the peak, camp somewhere epic, get in some good challenging hiking. It'd be cool to potentially summit a non-technical or easy peak nearby but I am not a mountaineer and don't want to try anything serious. Anyone have a good experience in the area to share about? Yes, this is a spiral caused in part by watching 14 peaks, but it's also been on my bucket list forever anyway.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Epic Backpacker Tours/K2 base camp Trek experience?

Post by JChitwood »

Not a mountaineer? 183 summits with 4 snowflakes. I’d call you a mountaineer.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

CoHi591 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:30 pm Hey everyone,
I am thinking about trying to do a guided tour to K2 base camp and surrounding area. In the early stages of planning, have never traveled outside the US at all and don't usually do guided tours but this is way outside my comfort zone of planning a solo trip. I was wondering if anyone had either 1) experience with the outfitter Epic Backpacker Tours, on any of their treks or 2) experience with any other guides that you really liked that get up in the area. I want to see the peak, camp somewhere epic, get in some good challenging hiking. It'd be cool to potentially summit a non-technical or easy peak nearby but I am not a mountaineer and don't want to try anything serious. Anyone have a good experience in the area to share about? Yes, this is a spiral caused in part by watching 14 peaks, but it's also been on my bucket list forever anyway.
Hi,

Sounds like a great trip. I would look at Madison Mountaineering www.madisonmountaineering.com. Garrett (the owner) is a great guy and I believe the first person to guide a client up K2. He has many attempts and summits on K2. He also includes trekkers on his trip to K2 and is very flexible, so I bet he could work in a climb of a peak on the trip. He knows Pakistan well and has strong local connections, which is critical. I have worked with him on several climbs and consider him a friend.

He is on Vinson for the next month, but his office manager Kurt can answer your questions. Feel free to let them know I told you to call (Richard Cost).

Note: To head off the sideline quarterbacks… If you google him you will find he had some issues with a client on Everest getting upset and suing him because he canceled a climb on Everest due to conditions. He is extremely safety focused so it’s no surprise to me that he canceled that particular climb. The client was a complete idiot to want to do the climb, so I would take his comments with that in mind. :)
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
CoHi591
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

Thanks so much for the advice! I will definitely shoot him a message.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

I will be going with Luke Smithwick to ski in Pakistan this spring, I can let you know how it goes. He focuses his guiding on the Himalaya in Pak/Nepal/India so he probably has something for you. https://www.himalaya-alpine.com/expedition-climbs/
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

I highly recommend Karakoram tours Pakistan (KTP) owned and operated by Manzoor. Myself and several other 14ers.com members have gone on 8000m expeditions with his outfit. He runs a great trip and is affordable. In 2017 I trekked to K2 basecamp and back out over the pass (with a 5 week stop at Broad Peak to try to summit lol). This is an epic adventure for sure, some of the hardest trekking I've ever done and the most rewarding for sure. Let me know if you want his information.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
CoHi591
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

I Man wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:31 pm I highly recommend Karakoram tours Pakistan (KTP) owned and operated by Manzoor. Myself and several other 14ers.com members have gone on 8000m expeditions with his outfit. He runs a great trip and is affordable. In 2017 I trekked to K2 basecamp and back out over the pass (with a 5 week stop at Broad Peak to try to summit lol). This is an epic adventure for sure, some of the hardest trekking I've ever done and the most rewarding for sure. Let me know if you want his information.
This sounds excellent, and just what I'm looking for. I checked out the website briefly but didn't see pricing or booking info, I will take a deeper look tomorrow for contact info on the website or feel free to DM me here if you have any more info to share. Thanks!
CoHi591
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

gb wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:11 pm I will be going with Luke Smithwick to ski in Pakistan this spring, I can let you know how it goes. He focuses his guiding on the Himalaya in Pak/Nepal/India so he probably has something for you. https://www.himalaya-alpine.com/expedition-climbs/
Definitely will take a look. Thanks!
CoHi591
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

JChitwood wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:46 am Not a mountaineer? 183 summits with 4 snowflakes. I’d call you a mountaineer.
Well thank you. I don't do any mixed climbing or ice climbing or trad climbing, just summits I can do without roping up, so I guess that's where I see the gap for myself personally. Trying to pin down a mentor in that realm as I try to round up the centennials this year, but I'm also introverted in the extreme.

And after 8 years of living here the fact that I've got 183 summits and only 4 snowflakes will tell you all you need to know about how much I enjoy the cold/snow lol. Working on it though..
Imtiaz
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Imtiaz »

Hello mate !
Before visiting karakoram two things are important to note.

First solo or independent trekking are not allowed in the karakoram range because the region is a border area and a restricted zone, so you must have a government approved guide and must come through a registered local travel outfit.

Second thing never use an international outfit for K2 Base camp trek or any other trekking activities in the karakoram range, because they have no ground roots, they outsource you to some local outfit in half of the price they charge you.

So the best thing is to contact a local outfit for the K2 base camp or any other trek they will definitely arrange it for you in half of the price. And if you are looking for some beginners Peak that includes pastore adjacent to K2, other peaks include khosar Gang Peak,and spantik are the famous novice peaks in the region.

I would like to recommend Chogori Adventure Pakistan for K2 Base camp trek and other activities in the karakoram, these guys are native of the K2 region and called themselves the host of karakoram, leave a message and they will definitely help you out.

https://chogoriadventure.com/tour/k2-base-camp-trek/

Thanks
CoHi591
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

Imtiaz wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:27 am Hello mate !
Before visiting karakoram two things are important to note.

First solo or independent trekking are not allowed in the karakoram range because the region is a border area and a restricted zone, so you must have a government approved guide and must come through a registered local travel outfit.

Second thing never use an international outfit for K2 Base camp trek or any other trekking activities in the karakoram range, because they have no ground roots, they outsource you to some local outfit in half of the price they charge you.

So the best thing is to contact a local outfit for the K2 base camp or any other trek they will definitely arrange it for you in half of the price. And if you are looking for some beginners Peak that includes pastore adjacent to K2, other peaks include khosar Gang Peak,and spantik are the famous novice peaks in the region.

I would like to recommend Chogori Adventure Pakistan for K2 Base camp trek and other activities in the karakoram, these guys are native of the K2 region and called themselves the host of karakoram, leave a message and they will definitely help you out.

https://chogoriadventure.com/tour/k2-base-camp-trek/

Thanks
Thank you for the info!
SubmiteeR
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SubmiteeR »

Hi guys. Not sure if OP has found an expedition already but i agree with a few of the other members suggesting not to use a foreign expedition agency - They all outsource your trip, for a far far less than what it costs you. Also, communicating with the actual group without an intermediary is far more effective and efficient leading up to the actual trip.

I am planning on a K2 base camp/Gondogoro La trek this June/July: Basecamp trek should be fairly easy in comparison but while it’s not a peak, GG la is somewhat technical and more ‘summiting a peak’ in essence than a pass that it actually is. I live in the US but am from Pakistan so was able to connect with local mountaineers. Please PM me if interested, i can probably help you getting in touch with a few of the local expedition agencies even if it’s not with this particular group.