Ecuador flood

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Ecuador flood

Post by Scott P »

Major floods hit Ecuador yesterday, including Quito:

I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Ecuador flood

Post by spiderman »

In freedom units, this was 3" of rain. That is a tenth the precipitation of the 2013 floods here. How the heck did they get this kind of flooding from so little precipitation?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Ecuador flood

Post by Scott P »

spiderman wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:27 pm In freedom units, this was 3" of rain. That is a tenth the precipitation of the 2013 floods here. How the heck did they get this kind of flooding from so little precipitation?
I think there's a mistranslation from Spanish to English news stories (and the metric system). Reading the Spanish stories there is some catchment on Pichincha that holds 4500 cubic meters and the rain was coming down at up to 75 liters per square meter per hour which breached the catchment. No mention is given about the total rain that fell, only that it rained hard for 17-24 hours straight.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.