Which is Better for Acclimating?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Re: Which is Better for Acclimating?

Post by mikefromcraig »

HikerGuy wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:49 am
mikefromcraig wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:30 am Acclimatization is a process whereby you break down and then build back stronger.
I don't have a horse in this race, but this statement is categorically false.
So then what is it?

You do acknowledge that when you go up high it puts your body at a diminished state, and then when you come back down you build back up, therefore gaining resistance to the altitude, right?

Finally, was there any piece of advice that I offered that you believe to be incorrect?
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
mikefromcraig
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

I think the following hypothetical will help illustrate there is more agreement than disagreement on this issue.

Imagine a mountain with a base camp, camp 1, and then the summit. Further imagine that there is an elevator that takes you from base camp to camp 1. You are given the following two options:

1) Go to camp 1 for 8 hours, come back down and sleep at base camp for one or two nights, then summit on the next day.

2) Go to camp 1 to sleep overnight. Then wake up and go for the summit.

I think (hope) that we all recognize option 1 is better for the reasons I have illustrated.

Note that there are no mountains with elevators, that's why this is called a hypothetical. That aspect was added to not confuse people with issues such as weather and timing. This way it isolates the issue we are discussing, acclimatization.

Taking the hypothetical as presented, nobody thinks option two would increase the probabilities of a successful summit, right?
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

mikefromcraig wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:30 am Acclimatization is a process whereby you break down and then build back stronger.
Hey. This is how exercise programs get started which include supplements, books, and mirrors!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
dan0rama
14ers: 26  5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dan0rama »

The acclimatization starts immediately once P02 drops, so technically spending any amount of time in high altitude will help with acclimatization. Should you sleep at high altitude the night before? I think the answer depends on whether you are able to get a good night sleep. If you can't, then the acclimatization progress you made might be entirely offset by the lack of sleep. I am usually able to sleep well even in the early stages of acclimatization to 18k+ ft.

There are lots of reasons for an alpine start, and you are not covering all of them. Mountaineers don't leave high camp at 12am because they are irrationally obsessed with waking up early. It's also so the ice/snow is firm! Sun+Ice = no good.
mikefromcraig
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

Dan, I just want to confirm that we are in agreement regarding my posted hypothetical.
mikefromcraig
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

dan0rama wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:47 am The acclimatization starts immediately once P02 drops, so technically spending any amount of time in high altitude will help with acclimatization. Should you sleep at high altitude the night before? I think the answer depends on whether you are able to get a good night sleep. If you can't, then the acclimatization progress you made might be entirely offset by the lack of sleep. I am usually able to sleep well even in the early stages of acclimatization to 18k+ ft.

There are lots of reasons for an alpine start, and you are not covering all of them. Mountaineers don't leave high camp at 12am because they are irrationally obsessed with waking up early. It's also so the ice/snow is firm! Sun+Ice = no good.
Yes, ice firmness is an additional reason for an alpine start. Also, if you need to get back down early to meet with your probation officer, that's another good reason. My point is that many people just blindly think the earlier the start the better, thus starting off for no good reason in poor condition due to lack of sleep.
dan0rama
14ers: 26  5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dan0rama »

I am not gonna address the hypothetical bc you are discounting the effort required to climb up and down. Also, you are building in rest time in option 1. Of course rest always helps, just not for the reason you are implying.

"Acclimatization is a process whereby you break down and then build back stronger." - I am not sure you understand what happens to the body in altitude. Our blood cells become more efficient at transporting oxygen around. It's a complex adaptations not yet 100% understood, but you are not being built back stronger. You are just better at shuttling oxygen around. Also, this adaptation eventually goes away. How do you call that?
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

mikefromcraig wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:13 am
So then what is it?

You do acknowledge that when you go up high it puts your body at a diminished state, and then when you come back down you build back up, therefore gaining resistance to the altitude, right?
There is no breakdown. The body continually adapts to high altitude exposure (to a point where it plateaus and that plateau can vary by individual). The going up high, resting down low or resting up high and exercising down low are just ways of managing the side effects of hypoxia as your body adapts.
rijaca wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:44 am She blinded me with science….
https://www.irunfar.com/into-thin-air-t ... cclimation
Excellent link!
Craig Barlow
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Craig Barlow »

Note that there are no mountains with elevators
This is categorically false. Whiteface Mountain in New York has an elevator.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

HikerGuy wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:15 pm There is no breakdown.
How can you even say something like that, of course there is! [-X Haven't you seen how Bane broke down Batman's back, and then Batman rebuilt back stronger?
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

HikerGuy wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:15 pm
rijaca wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:44 am She blinded me with science….
https://www.irunfar.com/into-thin-air-t ... cclimation
Excellent link!
I agree, thank you for posting this link. I really enjoyed reading it.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months