Am I ready for class 3/4?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Am I ready for class 3/4?

Post by bigredmachine »

Wentzl wrote: ↑Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:04 pm
derekesq wrote: ↑Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:20 pm to the OP - based on your original description and other responses, I think you are good to go for Pyramid.

As to Kelso Ridge - I recently studied that, and had i gotten a ride up the road last week would have, but no ride so i did the standard route from the road. but the standard route provides a good view of the ridge and to me it is far beyond anything on Pyramid.
I can hardly believe my luck. Here it is, my very favorite 14er post. Let me quote.

"I have never done it, but based on what I think, you should"

says the guy who has not done any of the peaks in question.

ha ha ha ha, I am going to bed now.
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

+1 on the castle/conundrum recommendation.
If you rnjoyed that, and felt fine about it, look at Wilson peak.
skyrme17
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skyrme17 »

I'm not sure I am in position to give advice, but being at a similar stage as the OP, I can offer my progression to class 3 as a point of comparison. After a number of class 2 hikes (including Harvard and La Plata), I did Blanca (a relatively long class 2+), followed by Longs, Crestone Peak, then Kelso Ridge on Torreys. Even though I had been previously told that Kelso Ridge on Torreys is a good intro to class 3, I will echo the view mentioned above that it is NOT. While shorter compared to other routes, it is more exposed compared to e.g. Longs, requires more route finding, and loose rock is a concern. To me, after 10-15 class 2 routes, a great intro to class 3 is actually Longs Peak. It requires minimal route finding, has excellent rock, and a couple of short exposed sections, one on the Ledges and the other on the Narrows.
derekesq
14ers: 29 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by derekesq »

t
Last edited by derekesq on Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who is John Galt
constipated_pete
14ers: 31  2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by constipated_pete »

derekesq wrote: ↑Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:36 am While I did not reach the summit, I made it 95% before descending due to incoming weather - more than halfway up the last section to summit, after the leap of faith and subsequent ascending, so yeah, I know the route. Exercising prudent caution is not a disqualifying factor. Your apology will be accepted.
Pyramid is a huge step up from Kelso. Not sure how far you got but the top 500’ of Pyramid after the green wall is the hardest part β€” very confusing route finding and class 4 moves on rotten rock. I climbed Pyramid after Longs, Wetterhorn, Kelso Ridge, and the sawtooth. It was a definitely a step up and is a bad intro to scrambling.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

OP- to answer your question (and summarize my points from other posts), yes you're ready for class 3 if you choose the right class 3 route. Pyramid and the Bells aren't it. I'd choose a route that has one class 3 section that is easy to turn around from if needed. Wetterhorn and Wilson Peak are the best choices in my opinion. Both are a long drive from Denver, but they're worth it.
β€œIf you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
derekesq
14ers: 29 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by derekesq »

Wentzl wrote: ↑Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:04 pm
derekesq wrote: ↑Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:20 pm to the OP - based on your original description and other responses, I think you are good to go for Pyramid.

As to Kelso Ridge - I recently studied that, and had i gotten a ride up the road last week would have, but no ride so i did the standard route from the road. but the standard route provides a good view of the ridge and to me it is far beyond anything on Pyramid.
I can hardly believe my luck. Here it is, my very favorite 14er post. Let me quote.

"I have never done it, but based on what I think, you should"

says the guy who has not done any of the peaks in question.

ha ha ha ha, I am going to bed now.

While I did not reach the summit, I made it 95% before descending due to incoming weather - more than halfway up the last section to summit, after the leap of faith and subsequent ascending, so yeah, I know the route. [/b]Exercising prudent caution is not a disqualifying factor. Your apology will be accepted.
Who is John Galt
John Landers
Trip Reports (1)

Post by John Landers »

"You cannot be serious." John McEnroe

To the OP, don't attempt Pyramid or Maroon until you have done a few other class 3 routes with better rock and easier route finding as others have suggested. The other thing about harder routes is the mental aspect of making moves were there is a potential for a fall and / or rotten rock. Class 1 and 2 peaks are mostly a physical challenge. Class 3 and above become a mental challange in addition to the physicality of the endeavor. Some people enjoy the challenge of route finding, scrambling with exposure, rotten rock, etc. while other people don't want anything to do with it. So increase the difficulty gradually and be willing to retreat as the peak will still be there for another try.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

derekesq wrote: ↑Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:50 pm Exercising prudent caution is not a disqualifying factor.
This is true.
derekesq wrote: ↑Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:20 pm ...it is far beyond anything on Pyramid.
This is not
derekesq wrote: ↑Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:20 pm While I did not reach the summit, I made it 95% before descending due to incoming weather...
This is unfortunate as the last 5% of Pyramid is the hardest.

Kelso Ridge does have a very imposing appearance from the standard route but you'll see if you actually go up it it's quite a bit tamer than it looks from afar - class 3 for sure and enough to freak some people out but by pretty much any measure much easier than Pyramid.

Back to the OP - as some have alluded to, class 3 and above is as much about your mental state as your physical. General rule of thumb: if you have to ask if you're ready then you're not ready (but note that not feeling the need to ask doesn't automatically mean that you are ready!)

Following the advice of those saying to progress slowly is a good way to go about it.
ljoyce21
14ers: 20 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ljoyce21 »

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I summit Torreys via Kelso ridge yesterday and I definitely underestimated it! A few things I learned:
- Study the route beforehand (didn't know where to go at points)
- Don't go alone if you're a beginner (more eyes/brains for route finding)
- Some rock climbing experience definitely helped

Luckily there was a group who knew what they were doing going up at the same time as me, so I got to stick with them. All said and done, it was a little scary, especially on the knife edge, but I felt confident on it and did not think it was too difficult. It was a lot of fun and an excellent intro! I'm glad I did it before attempting harder peaks.
ljoyce21
14ers: 20 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ljoyce21 »

Another thing - I took the standard route down so I guess I did not get the full class 3 experience.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

ljoyce21 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:49 pm I summit Torreys via Kelso ridge yesterday and I definitely underestimated it! ...but I felt confident on it and did not think it was too difficult. It was a lot of fun and an excellent intro! I'm glad I did it before attempting harder peaks.
Congrats on a successful climb of Kelso Ridge, despite the challenges!

Yeah, if routefinding was an issue for you on Kelso Ridge, I wouldn't rush ahead to Maroon Peak, Pyramid or others in the Elk Range (route finding can be much more difficult and the rock looser, etc).

A good progression from here might be to try Quandary West Ridge - it's kinda similar in overall challenge in terms of scrambling and route finding but you don't have to deal with any knife edge. Also lots of good suggestions earlier in the thread...