New to 14ers, leery of weather

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Re: New to 14ers, leery of weather

Post by madbuck »

In addition to the advice above, I'd add that the hourly forecast, on weather underground or others (esp. closer to ~1 day out) can be useful for more granularity.
You may see "n% chance of storms, mainly after.."
"10 am"
"12pm"
"1pm"
"2pm"

Of course, while they are probabilistic estimates, "10am" vs. "2pm" can make a difference in planning.
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

I'm not a morning person, so I've rarely made it to timberline before noon. Summer forecasts will almost always have some chance of storms. Even good forecasts can be off. I always carry rain gear and warm layers even if there is supposedly 0% chance. Two years ago, I was descending Yale (for the 6th time) and watched a storm form very quickly a few miles away on the divide and then move towards us. I ran from about 13K to below the trees and a bolt struck maybe 200 yards above me. Later I learned a woman was killed. The forecast was for "10% after 2." She was killed about 1 o'clock. Experience helps in reading weather but I don't know of anyone who has spent much time up high who hasn't gotten caught out at some point. Many people think lightning is the biggest killer but, in reality, deaths from lightning are pretty rare. Gravity and getting lost kill far more. Even so, dodging lightning bolts isn't much fun!

Bottom line, if you wait for a perfect forecast, you won't get many chances. Just be prepared to abandon a climb when the mountain turns angry. I've seen far too many newbies continue on when all the experienced climbers already threw in the towel.

Dave
Timothy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Timothy »

GeezerClimber wrote:I ran from about 13K to below the trees and a bolt struck maybe 200 yards above me. Later I learned a woman was killed. The forecast was for "10% after 2." She was killed about 1 o'clock. Experience helps in reading weather but I don't know of anyone who has spent much time up high who hasn't gotten caught out at some point. Many people think lightning is the biggest killer but, in reality, deaths from lightning are pretty rare. Gravity and getting lost kill far more. Even so, dodging lightning bolts isn't much fun!
All good points. Something else to consider is the fact that when somebody gets into trouble on a mountain, it often takes a bunch of other somebodies to get them out of trouble. I remember the day the woman was struck and killed on Yale, my daughter and I were driving through Buena Vista after summiting Elbert and heard the news on the radio.
שְׁמַע יִשְׂרָאֵל יְהוָה אֱלֹהֵינוּ יְהוָה אֶחָֽד׃‎