how much water and other gear questions

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Re: how much water and other gear questions

Post by JaredJohnson »

LURE wrote:If I'm above 12,000 feet I often just fill up the bottle and drink it on the spot without treatment if the turbidity is fine. I may be the outlier though, I get more lax on water filtration just about every time I go out. Not necessarily encouraging this, but high altitude water is usually going to be just fine and tastes delicious.
I can't say I've seen any anecdotal evidence against this practice, but when filtering is so easy with the new lifestraw and sawyer filters, it really seems better to be safe than sorry
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

LURE wrote:If I'm above 12,000 feet I often just fill up the bottle and drink it on the spot without treatment if the turbidity is fine. I may be the outlier though, I get more lax on water filtration just about every time I go out. Not necessarily encouraging this, but high altitude water is usually going to be just fine and tastes delicious.
Yeah - the odds are likely in your favor above 12K. Even the sheepherders don't *generally* head that high.

However, with the increased amount of human beings sh***ing around the creeks, I'd still opt for filtration.

And as with anything, you'll be fine... until you aren't. Giardia, from what I gather, is a pretty miserable affliction.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

SkaredShtles wrote:And as with anything, you'll be fine... until you aren't. Giardia, from what I gather, is a pretty miserable affliction.
It's not a problem at all if you like sleeping next to the toilet for 4 or 5 days and want to lose some weight while doing so.

Drink up.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

I feel like I've been playing with fire for years now. I'm an Aquamira guy too, have never even owned a filter, and I'm not even sure how recommended Aquamira is for full, complete water treatment; half the time I'm even too impatient to let that stuff do its recommended 15-20 minutes of work before drinking.

So really, I'm lazy, really lazy, and probably gonna get sick eventually. I like to think that anyone who spends enough time in the backcountry has a similar chance of getting sick though - between sticking there hands in rivers while filling up, the outside of their water bottles getting untreated water on them, then touching their faces, cooking food, eating food, picking their nose, etc. I'll be sure to let you guys know when I get screwed by my laziness :mrgreen:

I drank about 60+ oz of untreated water up by Uncompahgre this past weekend and have been waiting to see how the week plays out ever since lol
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

highpilgrim wrote:
SkaredShtles wrote:And as with anything, you'll be fine... until you aren't. Giardia, from what I gather, is a pretty miserable affliction.
It's not a problem at all if you like sleeping next to the toilet for 4 or 5 days and want to lose some weight while doing so.

Drink up.
And it takes 1-4 weeks after exposure for symptoms to develop.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

LURE wrote:<snip>
So really, I'm lazy, really lazy, and probably gonna get sick eventually. I like to think that anyone who spends enough time in the backcountry has a similar chance of getting sick though - between sticking there hands in rivers while filling up, the outside of their water bottles getting untreated water on them, then touching their faces, cooking food, eating food, picking their nose, etc. I'll be sure to let you guys know when I get screwed by my laziness :mrgreen:
As a fellow lazy person, I can appreciate where you're coming from. But you're fooling yourself here.
LURE
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

SkaredShtles wrote:
LURE wrote:<snip>
As a fellow lazy person, I can appreciate where you're coming from. But you're fooling yourself here.
Well, a lazy person will probably work harder to justify lazy behavior than he would have if he wasn't lazy in the first place, eh?
LURE
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

Sorry, I'm kinda taking this thread away from the OP, but at least the topic remains relevant to water, hiking, and the backcountry. I want to mention though that I just remembered when I took some outdoor leadership courses at CSU (just for the heck of it, I needed to fill up on some credits my last semester) our instructors talked about a study done by NOLS where they determined that extraordinarily high majority of Giardia cases were the result of poor hygiene in group camping settings, not from the water. Now I have not personally seen or tried to look up this study, but nonetheless, what I heard from some pretty experienced outdoorsman that have both spent time working for Outwardbound and NOLS between the two of them.

http://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-ou ... -the-risk/

The above article references the scientific uncertainty in where the illness is truly coming from with outdoors activity which made me think of that.

See, I'm already putting a ton of effort into trying to justify lazy behavior. ](*,)
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

LURE wrote:I drank about 60+ oz of untreated water up by Uncompahgre this past weekend and have been waiting to see how the week plays out ever since lol
Are they still grazing sheep in the basin between Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn?
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

LURE wrote:Sorry, I'm kinda taking this thread away from the OP, but at least the topic remains relevant to water, hiking, and the backcountry. I want to mention though that I just remembered when I took some outdoor leadership courses at CSU (just for the heck of it, I needed to fill up on some credits my last semester) our instructors talked about a study done by NOLS where they determined that extraordinarily high majority of Giardia cases were the result of poor hygiene in group camping settings, not from the water.
Since Giardia is a parasite, poor hygiene among other campers will only spread it IF someone already has giardia.

that being said, I've seen some really disgusting hygiene habits by people in the backcountry. Human feces within 2 feet of lakes and streams, etc. And these humans go to the same mountains we do. So its best to filter all your water, as even common bacteria in peoples poop will make you very sick.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

So really, I'm lazy, really lazy, and probably gonna get sick eventually.
Maybe. One of my friends (Michael Kelsey) almost never purifies his water and has never gotten sick. On average he has logged more than 300 days per year in the backcountry for the past. That's somewhere around 15,000 days in the past 50 years.

That said though, if you ever do get giardia, you will be miserable. Filtering your water is like wearing a seat belt. You may be OK most of the time without one, but if you don't have it on when you need it, you're kind of screwed.

Anyway, I don't purify spring water or snow, or water very near the source, but I almost always do at other times. In the US at least, cattle and sheep (especially) are the biggest concerns and the biggest polluters. Beavers come next on the list.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
cory1223oh
14ers: 24 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cory1223oh »

With the life straw being only $20 and 2 oz. it really seems like a no brainer...