Tips for Physical Training

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Tips for Physical Training

Post by DArcyS »

stephakett wrote:
DArcyS wrote: it hardly takes a fine-tuned athlete to climb a 14er. You need to train to do a 100-mile bike ride and you need to train to run a marathon, but you don't need to train to climb a 14er.
Hi Darcy- I don't really want to get into squabbling, but I do want to make a very succinct point that you are incorrect.

Huh, well okay. Agree to disagree. :)
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

You don't even need to train to run a marathon, I ran a marathon having not run in years in steamboat, finished in 3:53. Anyone can do any of these things without training for them provided that they are incredible athletes and fantastically gifted as I am.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

From: http://riotfest.org/2017/04/one-time-jo ... -marathon/
On April 21st, 1982, three weeks before the release of Combat Rock, Joe Strummer, at the height of The Clash’s fame, ran the Paris Marathon with his girlfriend Gaby Salter after allegedly drinking 10 pints of beer the night before.

[...]

The 1982 Paris Marathon wasn’t Strummer’s first or only marathon. He allegedly ran the 1981 London Marathon as well as the 1983 London Marathon which was sponsored by and – sponsored by the supermarket tabloid The Sun. He claimed to have ran the 1983 marathon in 4 hours and 13 minutes, which is pretty good time to run 26.2 miles.
strummersmashhitsapril1983.jpg
strummersmashhitsapril1983.jpg (102.23 KiB) Viewed 7097 times
Q: Correct me if I’m wrong but is it also true that you never trained for any of them?
Joe: You shouldn’t really ask me about my training regime, you know.
Q: Why?
Joe: Because it’s not good and I wouldn’t want people to copy it.
Q: Don’t make me beat it out of you.
Joe: Okay, you want it, here it is. Drink 10 pints of beer the night before the race. Ya got that? And don’t run a single step at least four weeks before the race.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I love the attitude with which people support/defile high intensity.

There is a simple binary key to solve the problem.

1. Do you live in Boulder and have hours each week to spend walking/running up and down green mountain?
1a: yes - then do that
1b: no - go to question 2

2. Do you have family or work obligations or other interests in life that would preclude you from spending more than 20% of you waking hours cranking out low intensity cardio?
2a: yes - then go do high intensity and feel rad, crossfit the f**k outa Bierstadt, do some kettlebell swings and slam a Michelob ultra and/or exquisite craft beer back at the car.
2b: no - then shut the f**k up and go spend all your free time doing low intensity cardio

Seriously. I'm a fan of the Steve House book, but the level of alpinism that book was gear towards ain't 14eneering.

Go hiking a bunch. Do some weight training, it'll make you stronger. If you don't like being in the gym, then don't. 14ers are supposed to be about enjoying yourself and the mountains, not self-flagellating your way to an arbitrary goal.
Make wilderness less accessible.
DArcyS
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Dave B wrote:Seriously. I'm a fan of the Steve House book, but the level of alpinism that book was gear towards ain't 14eneering.

Go hiking a bunch. Do some weight training, it'll make you stronger. If you don't like being in the gym, then don't. 14ers are supposed to be about enjoying yourself and the mountains, not self-flagellating your way to an arbitrary goal.
Thank you.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

justiner wrote:From: http://riotfest.org/2017/04/one-time-jo ... -marathon/
On April 21st, 1982, three weeks before the release of Combat Rock, Joe Strummer, at the height of The Clash’s fame, ran the Paris Marathon with his girlfriend Gaby Salter after allegedly drinking 10 pints of beer the night before.

[...]

The 1982 Paris Marathon wasn’t Strummer’s first or only marathon. He allegedly ran the 1981 London Marathon as well as the 1983 London Marathon which was sponsored by and – sponsored by the supermarket tabloid The Sun. He claimed to have ran the 1983 marathon in 4 hours and 13 minutes, which is pretty good time to run 26.2 miles.
strummersmashhitsapril1983.jpg
Q: Correct me if I’m wrong but is it also true that you never trained for any of them?
Joe: You shouldn’t really ask me about my training regime, you know.
Q: Why?
Joe: Because it’s not good and I wouldn’t want people to copy it.
Q: Don’t make me beat it out of you.
Joe: Okay, you want it, here it is. Drink 10 pints of beer the night before the race. Ya got that? And don’t run a single step at least four weeks before the race.
:lol: Of course there's also the Don Whillans Himalaya Training Regimen:
IMG_0399.JPG
IMG_0399.JPG (74.2 KiB) Viewed 6973 times
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

Don't forget the clutch move for gettin up the big Tour de France climbs.
C73F1E6F-0012-4426-A244-BF9F91B8CB1E-10681-000007863D0073DA.jpeg
C73F1E6F-0012-4426-A244-BF9F91B8CB1E-10681-000007863D0073DA.jpeg (517.1 KiB) Viewed 6960 times
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

there is no need to train, the Earth is flat
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/07/co ... vity-hoax/
damacau
Trip Reports (0)

Post by damacau »

Do you exercise often?
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

what's your sign?
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
arianna2
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (45)

Post by arianna2 »

Wondering if anyone has used the aeroski machine. https://www.amazon.com/Aeroski-Total-Bo ... B08L5LF1LT
Seems to get good reviews.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Look at https://uphillathlete.com/ lots of good training programs and info.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker