Down or Synthetic?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Down or Synthetic?

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

I prefer down simply for the packability. I also hate near freezing temperatures so usually stay home then. I’d much rather hike at 0 F than 32 F. The shoulder season is my nemesis.
Hoot
14ers: 58 
13ers: 150
Trip Reports (36)

Post by Hoot »

I don't have much experience with expensive hi-tech jackets, but my thin down jacket under a softshell works great for me for nearly all cold days in Colorado. If it's going to be super cold, I bring along my big down puffy. And I usually carry my super-cheap DriDucks jacket and pants for rain or added warmth over everything else on very cold and windy days.
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

Synthetic is a lot easier to wash, however.
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

People wash stuff? All joking aside, down isn’t hard to wash, just time consuming.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

You want one of each. You wear the synthetic on the ascent. You wear the DOWN on the descent.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

Okay, so I know puffy jackets. I'm a bit of a hoarder actually. I own and have owned many, many down and synthetic insulated jackets over the years. In my experience, down has a wider "comfort window" than synthetic. With the advent of hybrid synthetic/softshells and new technologies in highly breathable material, however, I don't this is really true any more when it comes to jackets. Personally, I prefer down to synthetic because it is generally lighter and more packable. Why limit yourself to just one puffy though? I generally wear my lightweight synthetic hybrid on the ascent (or in the summer) and pull one of my down jackets on over the top once I hit the summit or for the descent. This combination works really well together. If you are going to limit yourself to one jacket, then I would say it depends on what you want to use it for. If you are looking for that emergency/summit parka then I would definitely go with down. It's really impressive how small my Rab Positron packs down.
Last edited by Wildernessjane on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Brimstone10
14ers: 40  2  3 
13ers: 9 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Brimstone10 »

benlen wrote:
gspup wrote:
I am pretty tempted to try the nano-air hoodies though...
Best "puffy" I own. Arc'Teryx also makes a comparable version. 9 times out of ten when I'm out BC skiing, in bounds skiing, hiking 14ers, I reach for the Nano Air over my down puffy, because of how well it breathes. It does not compress as well as down (not even close) but is so much more versatile and breathable. Only when it gets nasty (super windy, cold, especially in shoulder season hiking) do I reach for the down puffy, usually in addition to the Nano Air Hoody underneath my shell jacket.
I 100% agree with this, and to echo what others are saying, I take both a synthetic and down jacket with me. My nano air hoodie is one of the best, and most used pieces of gear I have. I run hot so I wear it on the ascent with typically just a base layer underneath in the winter. The wind can pass through it keeping me regulated, as well as dry my base layer. If I stop for an extended break, I'll throw my shell on over it and stay warm. I keep a down jacket in my pack (Arctyerx Thorium) since it packs down small for those really cold / windy summits & breaks, but it hardly comes out.
mindfolded
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 20 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mindfolded »

RealJackets wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:13 am gander
Good one.
Isto11
14ers: 41 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Isto11 »

Down jackets are warmer and better. However, the feathers are often plucked from living birds, often to the point of death-by-shock. So seems like a pretty easy decision to me....
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

Isto11 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:01 pm Down jackets are warmer and better. However, the feathers are often plucked from living birds, often to the point of death-by-shock. So seems like a pretty easy decision to me....
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... -gear.html
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

The monkey knows
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:53 pm The monkey knows
Man... love The Refreshments!